Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwhite

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I haven't had a lot of luck with algae eaters, I've had 3 die on me. Im wondering if snails might be a better option for keeping my tanks clean. I'm looking to put them in a 2.5 gal that houses 1 male crowntail betta and a 10 gal that currently houses 5 neon tetras. I did have a rubber nose pleco in the 10 gal, but he died, replaced him with an oto, who also died. I'm thinking they pooped too much because my water params stayed bad with them in there. Since the neons have been alone my params are perfect, but im starting to see algae. Would snails have a lesser impact on my water? I've never had snails before so I don't know anything about them. Thanks!

Try nerite snails great algae eater's and don't reproduce in freshwater, i would give them ago. They're a nice size too :)

All they had for sale were mystery snails. How would a few of those be?

Mystery snails can get big and poop a lot lol you'll also need to feed it blanched cucumber, spinach or kale and the odd algae wafer not all at once! I prefer the veg for mine as my betta steals the wafer. So I would try the one and see how that goes. Hope i helped :)

Well shoot. I was wanting something that wouldn't poop a lot and mess with my water params,, since I think that's what killed my other algae eaters. The girl at the fish store said that with my current stock I could throw 3 of the mystery snails in with no problem. Poo. Thanks for the info! Hopefully it's all ok.

I suggest to you get some mollies they help in reducing some algae in your tank..

I have some, they rip down some algaes.. But not totally they eat all algaes, just some..

I wouldn't buy a fish to control algae it'll add more bio load to your tank :)

Thanks all. I ended up with mystery snails. 2 in my 25 gal, 3 in my 10 gal, and 1 in my 2.5 gal. I thought 2 were dead, they didn't make a single move or come out of their shells for 4 hours after I put them in the tank. Soon as I turned out the light they popped out and started moving up the sides. Guess they are shy. They gave me some smaller snails too for free, they are in pointy little shells. They just gave me those lol.

Well I have an infestation of trumpet snails. When I had my clown loaches they were kept at bay. Since I have had this tank set up with an Oscar they are back with there buddies and wife's. what can I do to get shot of them.

Back
Top Bottom