Snowflake Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know obviously I could research on the internet about these guys, but I wanted feedback from some of you guys personally. How are snowflake eels? With in the next month or so I'd like to add one to my tank. First off.... compatibility wise how would they do with the tangs I have, the Emp and the Wrasse? Are they aggressive towards owners such as if you try to rearrange live rock?

Also they wouldn't be aggressive towards the other fish? Would it like try and bite the other fish?

Steve

100 Gallon Saltwater tank with a Sunset Wrasse, Emperor Angelfish, Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, 9 turbo snails and 130 pounds of live Fiji rock. Marineland 300 protein skimmer with sump refugium full of live rock and macroalgae.

I'm assuming this is the tank we are talking about.
Here's a chart for compatability:
Marine Compatability Chart
So check on that with ALL your fish. We don't want one going missing.
Now tank size how big they get etc.
Look here:
A Serpent For Your Reef Tank: A Look at Fish-Safe Eels by Frank Marini, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Have fun and give us some pics if you get one! :D

After the chainlink and Zebra morays, the SFE comes in third as the most docile species, but be aware that this not mean that your SFE will never show any aggression too its tank mates. As is, your SFE could or will prey on any small fish in its tank. Its not heard so often, but it do happen from time to time. All you can do is give your SFE the best possible home you could give it and maintain its water quality at its highest, and offer it the best in a variety of marine seafoods that you can offer it. That is all anyone could expect that you do.

As for aggression towards owners, not so, but whatever you do, don't attempt to feed it by hand.

Your a 100 gal tank I notice, to small a tank for a Emp Angelfish if you ask me, but I see no other reason that they couldn`t be together, but no one should try the blueline angel for it is extremely aggressive towards many tank mates.

But as for the wrasse idea, that could be a hit or miss, for most wrasse as they mature in your tank, will become aggressive and could nip a lot at your eel.

That is my .02 worth, perhaps others could offer you something better in suggestions or opinion wise.

One thing I have heard about eels, and you may already know this, is that they are great escape artist. The top of the tank needs to be completely covered in some fashion. If there is the smallest opening available they'll find it and slither out.

Last edited:
Snowflake Moray Eels can be a little bit hard to feed at first, but once you wean them onto non-live foods, they'll take just about any meaty foods. After you buy the eel and put it in the aquarium, wait a couple days before trying to feed it. If the eel won't eat non-live foods yet (you should ask the pet store clerk, before you buy the eel), then you will have to feed it live food.

Most eels in general can be rather difficult to start tank feeding, the main thing here you really need to do or have is a well sealed tank, excellent water quality, maintain the proper Ph with low levels of nitrates to no traces at all. Also allow a many hiding spots that you could possibly manage. For the most part in all my years of keeping eels is that most feed some time during the first few days.

But I never would feed live, when you say live, you really meant live feeders and nothing else. If that be your solution, your a bigger problem then you think. Its like feeding silversides, OK, use silversides to try and get your eel to feed if that be your goal. Myself, I never as well even feed my eels silversides, silversides will do nothing at most for your eels ,long term dieting plan its be like when you sit down to watch a football game and your snacking and chips and having a beer, Junk, but the beer be nice junk, LOL :D These days at most, I have me two glasses of wine a day.

It was like when some hobbyist was telling everyone in his thread how well his gotten his Ribbon eel to feed, and he down loaded a video showing he was feeding the eel feeders. He properly doesn't even have the eel any more, some success.

Buddy

Back
Top Bottom