So im new...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice addition. Good luck with him. I like his name!!!

thanks!

Would I be okay with getting filter feed of some sort? Like a tube worm or are they considered reef and would they need better lighting?

How many snails should I get? 10?

Tubeworms are not photo dependent and don't need light to survive. This post is really long so please refresh my memory as to what you have in your tank at the moment. Some fish will pick at tubeworms.

3 Green Chromis
Cleaner Shrimp
Im getting snails today, how many should i get?

+1, also the chromis are fine with a featherduster. Find a nice Hawaiian featherduster.
here is a photo of my duster with a Clarkii eying it up as a possible hosting site. Clarkii like most clowns are weird...
img_1094555_0_665eda301e58c9114e8a0cf1c2877c47.jpg

I thot hermits werent a good idea? I really like that duster also, im going to my LFS tomorrow so ill probably pick up some snails and a duster.

Hermits seem to be a matter of choice for lots of people. Some don't like that they may attack snails for their shells. I think that is a natural part of the sea and hobby. I just replace a few snails once or twice a year. that and keep a few empty shells (slighty larger than the current homes).

I think the hermits get to a lot of uneaten food in the rocks and other places and are good janitors. There are even tiny hermits that can do that for you. They can't kill snails.

Sweet, so my stocking list for today will be 2 hermits and 3 snails and a duster. Too much for the bio load or no?

O ok thanks, well is that enough snails and hermits or should I get more, its a 14 gallon.

Update! Just got back from my LFS (The barrier reef). I dont know if anyone here has heard of it from south florida. I picked up a large Hawaiin Feather Duster. A Staghorn Hermit. A Yellow Watchman Goby. and 3 Nassarius snails.

After drip acclimating them for a little over and hour, I added them. Theyre so cool! But the goby and the snails immediatly ran for cover and retreated to under the sand and under the rock. When do you think ill see the snails again? Heres a pic..

img_1100445_0_065e477954827be020ebe0fe3fc68881.jpg

the next time you feed your tank. That's the neat thing about Nass snails, it's like they got radar for food....

Yea i actually noticed his eye or some sort of shaft sticking through the sand where I saw him escape to under the sand.

Also whats the best place to put the feather duster and should he bi in the sand? On a rock? On top of the sand?

That shaft is quite soft so handle with care. I stuck my Duster into a large shell so I could move him around until I found a spot that both he and I liked.
img_1100624_0_665eda301e58c9114e8a0cf1c2877c47.jpg

And one on the rocks:
img_1100624_1_c13d57fd231172cbe7a370da15372218.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom