So is BTA splitting good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read so much on either side of the equation, that my head is spinning.

I have a BTA that has been in my tank for about 2 months. He found his spot and was happy and growing with nice bubble tips. So I see him start to move his foot out from under the cave and on top of the LW and figured he was getting wanderlust and would find a new home. Came home after a few hours and noticed that I had 2 anemones now. :multi: Neat, I thought. One of the clones moved back to the original spot and another moved to the other side of the same small peice of LR and stayed put.

The as usual when something new happens in my tank I run a search here and find all sorts of people saying splitting is bad and caused by poor water or stress :eek2: , and others congratulating people on their splits. So I am trying to find out what is going on.

If he split to increase his chances of survival in a poor spot, then why did one of them settle back in the original spot and the other settle about 6 to 8 in away? Any ideas if this is good or bad?

I do 20% weekly PWC's with Distilled water (did one last Sunday and split happened Saturday--two days ago).
NH3/NH4---0
NO2---0
NO3 -- <5ppm
Temp 76 - 78

This hobby drives me loopy sometimes. :crazyeyes:

Well with what your tests are saying I would say congrats.
they can split tho if they are dying to kinda save them ... It usually means that they are happy and content in where they are ....

Do you feed the anemone? Usually gut loading will cause this as well. In fact, there are many factors as to why an anemone will split (environmental, chemical, physical) and yes, sometimes stress is a factor, but usually there will be adverse signs of health before the actual split. On a side note, I notice many people put down others for their success for whatever reason...

Innovator said:
Do you feed the anemone?

That might be it, I fed him about once every 2 weeks or so. I fed him the week of the split, I cut a piece of raw shrimp and put it on the end of a feeding prong.

Both seem to be doing fine with nice bubble tips right under the lights.

I dont know. The jury is still out as to what makes them split but the point is now that you have two. Work on getting your water conditions in pristine conditions so you can take care of your two anenomes. Congrats and I hope all goes well.

Way to cut to the point melosu.

Funny thing is, now the clownfish has two anemones to ignore becasue he likes his rock crevice.

Gonna keep up the 20% PWCs. Was thinking of dropping to 10%, but I'll keep up with 20%. After all, its only an additional 5 gallons with my tank size.

I had a BTA get sucked up into a HOB filter intake, I got him out in about 3-4 peices. Each peice now has a fully developed mouth and looks healthier than the original. HTH!

Back
Top Bottom