So my 55g is basically done now and....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnastix911

Aquarium Advice Freak
The Title is supposed to be "done now" not "down now" sorry.

Nitrate: 10 (working on getting that up as I have plants)
Nitrite: 0
Hardness (GH): 75
KH: 200
pH: 7.8-8.0

I have a small/medium gravel, driftwood, slate and a few anubias varieties. The current inhabitants of said 55gal are my 4 kuhli loaches- and no one else. I want to stock but unfortunately I don't really know what to go for. I was thinking on angels but my pH is too high (i think?), and then I was thinking either malawi or tanganyika or something. Species tank were possible or along those lines... Just colorful, beautiful, fit in my range type of fish. Then I started leaning towards peacocks... And then I was thinking red zebra cichlids....

And then... who knows? I may end up just grabbing some danios.

If anyone has advice or can think of some fish that would fit in this tank that would be ace. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
heard that a lot of the rift lake cichlids don't favor plants so much..
Angels thrive in lower PH, I bought a tank bred over a year ago adn he's still thriving in my high PH... with all the tank breds floating around now it is becoming more and more possible to keep different fish than what is normally suggested..

a school or 2 of different types of tetras may be interesting.. or cherry barbs..

sorry you've been waiting for a response!
Yes there are a few
Any apistos (kribs, rams, cockatoos...etc)
Angels
I've heard flowerhorns (not really sure what they are though)

The africans are really going to be the biggest problem (and oscars...)

I have and angel full grown and king og the tank, one of the first fish I bought and my Ph id borderline african ready (although my GH and KH are quite a bit lower than to be expected with sucha high PH)

Just some inspiration and to say that it can be done, here is travis's 125 gal Mbuna tank:

8062tank_oblique_251204_x800-med.jpg

You can see more of his cichlids here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=6756

gorgous tank! guess some people are luckier than others? i've never kept africans myself, but that's because I wanted ot go planted and was told they would destroy my pants! From the looks of that its way past possible

Now I'm almost ashamed to post photos of my revamp.... *sigh*

Thanks for all of the input! I really wanted to go with some GBRs but With my tank leaning towards the higher pHs I was hoping there are others. The only plants I have right now are pretty inexpensive so I wouldn't be too hurt or emotionally distraught into a bout of manic fish tank depression so I will try out some and see what happens.

rkilling, your and Travis' tanks are beautiful.

Haykay thanks for help and follow up! I was definitely look into those other fish

Great news! A new fish store just came to town about 1 month ago, locally owned etc... And when I asked them about special ordering things they didn't blow me off or scoff! It was amazing. I'm going in tomorrow to talk to them about getting some Kribs and lighting equipment. It's as if I have been waiting for them my whole life... *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom