So who is right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, set up my 45G tank 10 days ago with live sand, added live rock 7 days ago. Yesterday a good crop of Brown Algae showed up as expected. Took a water sample into a place that comes highly recommended. They say, “It has cycled and you are ready for fish”. Thought that was a bit strange. I told them I thought I was supposed to start with a cleanup crew and they said if I did that I would need to feed them because there are no fish. This goes against what I have read here so I decided to get a second opinion.

Second guy says that based on the duration the live rock has been in place and the fact that the water test shows no signs of anything he doesn’t think my tank has cycled yet. He also says that once it does, start with a cleanup crew for about a week before adding fish.

I tend to believe the second guy. The water has remained crystal clear since I put it in. No cloudiness at all. I thought I read somewhere to expect the water to turn brown and get cloudy during the cycling.

When I cycled my tanks I had crystal clear water as well, it doesnt mean you didnt cycle. Do you have your own test kit? it is almost vital that you get one. :)

When I cycled my tanks I had crystal clear water as well, it doesnt mean you didnt cycle. Do you have your own test kit? it is almost vital that you get one. :)

Picked up the test kit from the second guy. His price was $5.00 less. :) He is also the one I bought the live rock from. His store isn't as nice and shinny but it is a young couple and they really seem to know what they are doing. All things considered, I would rather support a young couple trying to make it than a high end store where the owner comes in once a month. LOL Got to admit though, the high end store has some really nice displays. :)

And some nice prices too I betcha LOL. I love looking in those stores but am disappointed that their stuff is always so expensive.

When you test what are you coming up with as far as ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? You can sometimes tell just from taking the tests if you are cycled or not.

I have not made it home yet so I have not done my test. Both of them came up all zeros today. That is why the second guys said it most likely hasn't cycled yet. He said there should be some nitrites or nitrates. Not sure which but he said but that makes sense to me. After all, I may be good but I am not that good. :) If my water is in that good of shape I am sure it isn't my doing. LOL

The brown algae is prob diatoms. I dot think your tank is fully cycled after 10 days. Now I could be wrong since you did use liverock. Side note. Is the live rock fully cured? Anyway a good way to test if your tank is cycled is add some pure ammonia to your tank and dose it up to 4ppm(anything more is to much) wait 24-48 hours and if ammonia nitrite are at zero and you have nitrates at 20-80ppm your good to go. Do a large waterchange after the cycle.

As fare as cleanup crew you don't really need one. They are there for Basically more diversity in your tank.if you do want to add some I would wait till your nitrates are around 20ppm or lower. Any more and they will die.also for future thinking with inverts never add any med that contains copper. It will kill them right away. As far as order you can add fish snails anything you want in any order.

If youre coming up with all 0's I would also think you arent fully cycled. A cycled tank usually has some trace of nitrates.

Thanks Tomchong22 and Carey. All good info and pretty much confirms what I suspected. Here are the test results from today.

Test 1, sample at 6:30 AM, test done at store at 2:00 PM.
PH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.024
Alkalinity 14 (I think, hard to read her writing)

Test 2, Sample and test taken at 7:00 PM
PH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.024

Either our test vary a little or the Ammonia is just now starting to come up and hasn't triggered the Nitrite and Nitrate. At least that is what I suspect. I will watch it over the next few days. The diatoms have gone crazy since last night. Starting to cover everything but everyone says not to worry so I won't. :)

One more question I keep forgetting to ask. I have found nothing on this so maybe you guys can help. using a canister filter I am not breaking the surface tension on the water at all. I have two power heads that ripple it a bit but not much. The power heads have siphon tubes which allow me to add air. I have one set to give a micro burst of bubbles ever 3-4 seconds but not a lot. Do I need to do something about oxygen levels or am I ok. I prefer not to have the bubbles at all but.....

I would not set the powerheads to bubble myself. Can you aim the discharge of the canister to make some ripples? That increases the surface are of the water to promote gas exchange without making bubbles that can stick to surfaces and look unnatural in my opinion.

You don't want micro bubbles in your tank this can stress the fish. Take one Powerhead and point it at the surface. It is better to have the surface moving then a tone of current in the water. Point one up and one directly across the tank.

Hope you guys are still watching this thread. I have been doing my own test for 2 weeks now using the API Saltwater Master kit. When I saw no cycling, I added some pure ammonia and everything did just as planned.

Here is my delema. Before adding ammonia my readings were consistanly .25 on ammonia. When the levels came down after spiking they made it down to what I assume was about .15 because it is between 0 and .25 on the chart. Then, they went back to .25. That is AFTER Nitrite spiked and came back to 0. Nitrate spiked to 160 and was down to 40 last night.

I am wondering why I always get .25 on the ammonia. Am I doing something wrong? Is my test old? Should I even worry about it? I know ammonia is supposed to be 0 but since I now have no nitrite can I trust that I still have some ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom