So who is running a 55g or 75g with overflow and sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickRummy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My wife has been wanting a larger tank for her Tetras for a while now and after building a sump and doing the plumbing for my 65g Reef I don't think I'd want to do it any other way on the freshwater setup as well.

So I've found it nearly impossible to find a reef ready 55g or a 75g tank. Local glass place will drill them for $10 a hole or so which is fine with me.

I'm going to make my own stand and canopy so will have some wiggle room on sump configuration. I'm curious to see what you guys are running for equipment and what the hot overflow setup is? I'm thinking I'll use a 1" bulkhead for the overflow and then use a 3/4" bulkhead for the return. What's a good placement? Do you drill the bulkhead hole maybe 2" below the top of the tank then use an elbow on the bulkhead to get the water line up higher on the tank?

I definitely plan on doing my own. Even if it only allows me to put equipment under the tank I'd be happy but I'm sure I can do a lot more with it. I've seen some people running media and filters in the sump. The extra water capacity is a plus too.

I run a sump, although my tank is 80 gal .. not 75 :)

For FW, the sump doesn't need to be overly complicated. I have 2x1" drains going into the sump. <One is an emergency overflow, set slightly higher, in case there is a blockage in the 1st.> The drains goes into a wet/dry media box with bioballs & filter floss, which drains into the main sump compartment. I have one baffle between the main sump & the return pump to trap any particulates/air bubbles, and to limit the amount of water the pump can return should both my drains fails. <Yes, I am anal about floods ....> My pump is 750gph, and returns directly into the tank with a hang on back loop & spray bars. (Just like a canister return ... no need to drill the return line.

My return line is on the opposite end of my drains, so there should be good circulation in the tank. All my equipment is in the sump, so the main tank is uncluttered.

Jsoong, any powerheads for circulation? Sounds like a nice simplistic setup. Are your overflows drilled and not your return then? That makes sense too since like you mentioned the returns are just a hose over the rim of the tank more or less.

Be careful with commercial tanks in the 55/75 range as most have tempered glass bottoms, which can't be drilled.

Be careful with commercial tanks in the 55/75 range as most have tempered glass bottoms, which can't be drilled.

I've been reading up on that to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I think I'd drill overflows on the back side of the tank anyhow.

Does anyone have any pictures of their bulkheads for their overflows? I'm trying to figure out what bulk head and adapters I'll need. I think I read that a 1" bulkhead at the top of a tank will flow around 300gph? If that's the case I think I'd run two over flows as I'd want more circulation than that.

This is the system I am using:
BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System
This is way quieter than a Durso, and much easier to adjust. <I never got a Durso to be totally silent, like this one.>

I am using only 2 standpipe as per the original reef-central posts - combining the emergency & open channel into one. <The website is running 2000 gph, so maybe 3 is needed! But Reef Central simply said you should just increase the drain size ....> My full siphon 1" drain is able to carry all 750 gph with ease. I have to turn it down by ~1/4 with a stopcock to keep the water level just above the down-turned L. <Note that a full siphon does not entrain air, so can carry more than a simple open drain or a partial siphon like the Durso.> My Emergency is always dry, except during initial start-up (before the siphon is established in the full siphon drain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom