Soaking Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Purigen was pretty brown before I started soaking it. It’s only been soaking for 3 1/2 hours and it looks new. Should I keep it soaking until tomorrow or is it safe to take it out and rinse it and soak it in dechlorinated water?

Follow the directions. After soaking in a bleach, I think uour supposed to the soak it in a reall strong solution of some sort of chlorine remover before you use it again. Go by the directions for recharging it on the bottle or bag it came in.
My Purigen was pretty brown before I started soaking it. It’s only been soaking for 3 1/2 hours and it looks new. Should I keep it soaking until tomorrow or is it safe to take it out and rinse it and soak it in dechlorinated water?

My purigen is ready for a clean so I have put my fresh one in ready to soak for 24hours in strong bleach 1 to 1 ratio with water then it will also be added my my EF in three days time IMG_20180508_182543.jpegIMG_20180508_182534.jpegIMG_20180508_182829.jpeg

My purigen is ready for a clean so I have put my fresh one in ready to soak for 24hours in strong bleach 1 to 1 ratio with water then it will also be added my my EF in three days time View attachment 308854View attachment 308855View attachment 308856
Do not go by looks when it comes to recharging. Bleach will make the material look light quickly, but it takes a bit of time before the bleach destroys the material that was absorbed by the Purigen. If you don't follow the directions on the package, your Purigen will not be recharged properly.

You could add some extra Prime or other dechlorinator in the last soak/rinse.
I tried bleaching a couple of Purigen pouches and after several treatments with bleach and rinsing, I could not get rid of a pungent fish odor that developed during the process (smelt fine after removing from the filters). Ended up throwing them out sadly. This is not typical though.

You could add some extra Prime or other dechlorinator in the last soak/rinse.
I tried bleaching a couple of Purigen pouches and after several treatments with bleach and rinsing, I could not get rid of a pungent fish odor that developed during the process (smelt fine after removing from the filters). Ended up throwing them out sadly. This is not typical though.
Mine are ok so far. I'm using loose bleach so it's not super thick and it works better alot better

Mine are ok so far. I'm using loose bleach so it's not super thick and it works better alot better
I've begun using mason jars so I can shake the bleach through the granules really well and then removing the lids immediately to allow gasses to escape while soaking. In my own mind, I feel the granules are better exposed to the bleach better...as well as the dechlorinator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom