sodalite aquarium safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Space

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just picked up a really nice piece of sodalite at the local gem/mineral store, its a really handsome stone that looks great when wet, which got me thinking about using it in a tank.

Does anyone have any experience with this mineral and do you think its safe for the aquarium?

I looked it up and couldn't see an issue with the mineralogy.

Only thoughts would be if it has sharp edges and if it can absorb/release anything. On quick reading this looked low as it said association with pyrites was rare (well Wikipedia said anyways).

I found a couple of quotes that said it is made up of sodium aluminum silicate and even chlorine and to avoid putting it in tanks.

Well it wouldn't be the first time a vendor sold pet products that weren't safe for pets.
It sounds like it is probably safe but I think I am going to save myself the headache by keeping it out of the tank and on my windowsill instead.

So, I have a decent variety of real semi precious stones in my various tanks. I would not worry at all about sodalite. It is decently hard, and anything that could ever leach out of it would be so slow that it wouldn't make a difference, doubly especially if you do even semi consistent water changes. I have never had any sort of issues in my tanks from it.

Back
Top Bottom