Solenoid for Return Line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTWGulo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Brainstorming and planning a sump for my 150g freshwater planted tank rebuild (yet to be started, but the tank's torn down at the moment). I'm worried about flooding the house, mainly because I want to have the return line send water down to the bottom of the tank to help with flow distribution and turnover, but obviously that puts me at risk for a huge issue if the power cuts out and the pump stops. I know there are the customary options of drilling a siphon break hole or a simple one-way vale.

I was looking for something more reliable, like a solenoid valve. Clearly it would need to be open when the power's on and closed when it's off. I believe that's a "normally closed" solenoid valve, if my research is correct. And the continuous duty part is also a difficult thing to find (sort of).

Is there any reason a valve like this is a -bad- idea?

Does anyone know where I can get one for under $300? The one place I was able to get a quote from wanted just over $1000.00 (yes, a thousand) for the valve. WAY too much for this project.

Is there a better alternative?

Back
Top Bottom