Solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shmeeb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

So I've managed despite some problems getting my CO2 tank filled, to get my injection system working. I've got a 5 lbs tank, Milwaukee Co2 regulator, bubble counter, solenoid valve, Aqua Medic Membrane Diffuser, and a sms122.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something (which is altogether possible), the solenoid is not working properly. Am I correct in assuming that if the solenoid is not plugged in, gas should not be flowing through the system? I had plugged the power adapter connected to the SMS which the solenoid is plugged into, into the power strip that's plugged into (and that's a lot of "intos") my light timer. The lights shut off, gas continues to flow. Unplugged the solenoid altogether, gas continues to flow. So, am I missing something?

Thanks,
Tom.

If the solenoid is unplugged and gas still flows then yes, it's not working. I know it may not be the most technical approach, but try giving it a tap.

does it cling when you apply power? if not a simple tap may help, if it does, then it could be a bad diaphram inside, and you can either contact the store you bought it from for an RMA, or deal with Milwaukee. (Milwaukee at vol dot com) for their office in North Carolina.

Also, the system should be hooked up like

SMS122 adapter to 24 hr plug
SMS122 Relay (3 prong plug thing) to 24 Hr plug
Solenoid to SMS122 Relay

The controller will keep your PH stable, you don't have to worry about lights on or off. Mine will occasionally turn on at night, just to keep the PH stable.

A solenoid is not a strong valve..it doesn't instantly shut off CO2 flow. The back pressure has to escape before all CO2 flow stops.

In other words, when you unplug the solenoid, it takes up to 2 minutes for all CO2 flow to stop.

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't waiting that long, so I'll give that a shot.

Also, what is the output pressure (Guage on Right)? I have mine set to 15PSI and it shuts down really fast (virtually instantly)

Well I've had it unplugged for about 10 minutes now, and it's still chugging right along. Additionally the instructions mentioned that it should get warm during operation, which it isn't. My output guage (yep, on the right) is set to 5 PSI. I had it a bit higher, but the ph was dropping pretty fast and the diffuser would just release large pockets of gas. Since I started injecting my ph has dropped from 7.8 to 6.7--where it's held for the past two days (actually it drops to 6.6 overnight, then goes back tp 6.7).

Ok--I was avoiding doing that because the instructions said to leave it all the way open if possibe (which admittedly didn't make that much sense to me, as the JBJs don't even have the regular adjustment valve).

That's odd, I just read through them, and they say to not use the needle valve, but the solenoid is effectively the same thing (on/off) and they do recommend using it.

I prefer to use the needle valve to control the flow, the reg. valve to control the pressure. it does put more stress on the solenoid and joints between the reg and valve, but it's brass and I'm sure it can handle more then 20PSI.

I would at least give it a shot and see if it get's the solenoid working, if so, then leave it with the higher pressure and use the needle valve.. I still find it odd they would say to use only the reg..

Back
Top Bottom