Solo Moving a 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

I find myself in a bit of a predicament. The place that I ordered my new 75g from doesn't offer delivery... and so I'm tasked with getting the thing into my new second floor apartment by myself.

Have friends help, right? Too bad I'm a few thousand miles away from anyone I know!

I've moved everything up to a 60 by myself, but the dimensions made it manageable. The problem with a 75 is that it's 98lbs in 48x18x21 - it's a bit too awkward even for my large bearhugging capability. If anyone has suggestions on how to get this thing from the truck into the apartment, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I thought I might be able to use a fridge dolly and some ratcheting tie-downs to hold it to a piece of plywood to haul it up the stairs but I've never tried anything like that before so I really have no idea.

Thanks!

If I were you- I'd ask my up or downstairs neighbor to help- and buy the beer. Great way to meet the neighbors!

Moving a large tank by yourself especially upstairs just isnt going to work. You need someone else strong enough on the otherside. Its not the weight as such but more about grip and movability. A 4footer isnt a one person job and asking someone to help is really the only simple easy option. Why not wait for a strongish looking teenage kid to walk past and say ill give you 5 dollars to help me get this inside. Get the stand set up ready so you can drop the tank straight on and get him out as quick as possible I bet 4 of 5 would say yeah.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I find myself in a bit of a predicament. The place that I ordered my new 75g from doesn't offer delivery... and so I'm tasked with getting the thing into my new second floor apartment by myself.

Have friends help, right? Too bad I'm a few thousand miles away from anyone I know!

I've moved everything up to a 60 by myself, but the dimensions made it manageable. The problem with a 75 is that it's 98lbs in 48x18x21 - it's a bit too awkward even for my large bearhugging capability. If anyone has suggestions on how to get this thing from the truck into the apartment, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I thought I might be able to use a fridge dolly and some ratcheting tie-downs to hold it to a piece of plywood to haul it up the stairs but I've never tried anything like that before so I really have no idea.

Thanks!

Yeah the dolly would work if you harness it right but I think you'd be better off carrying it with another person. I have a 210 I need to somehow carry into my basement...yikes lol

55/60 gallon tanks are a lot easier to manage by yourself, trust me. This probably isn't something you want to tackle alone. I can move 55 gallons around the fishroom by myself without much of a problem (although once I picked up one and cracked the top trim) but a 75 is much harder. My suggestion is the same as Stellah's- offer a 6 pack and a yummy large pizza to a neighbor in exchange for the help. 2 guys can carry a 75 up a couple flights of stairs, no problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom