some convict cichlid questions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got to small convict cichlids today and i have a few questions:

1.) is a special cichlid food really needed? i picked some up but i was wondering if normal flake food would be enough?

2.) are some convict cichlid's white stripes darker than others because one out of the two has almost black stripes so im not sure if its actualy a convict or not.

3.) why are they both sitting at the bottom of the tank? the tanks been cycled for a month and i let them sit in the bag for a while and added some of the tank water slowly and all that so why are they both still sitting at the bottom. its been a few hours.

4.) any tips for keeping convicts? (they are in a 20L)

thanks
~joma

check out this great link about them, Convict Cichlid, Amatitlania (Archocentrus) nigrofasciata Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

All your questions except 2&3 will be answered there...

2. Sounds like you just added them, they might be stressed from the move and introduction to a new tank and in their "stressed colors" but some covicts are darker than others especially when breeding.

3. Do they have anything to take cover behind, is it a bare tank or is it decorated? Convicts appreciate caves to hide in when scared or breeding, try adding some small flower pots, maybe 5-6" in diameter for now.

In my experiance with keeping them, your tank will be big enough for now, but as they get older and breeding you might consider setting them up in their own tank if they are not already, convicts get pretty nasty when breeding and have taken out almost all the other fish in the whole tank when i kept them. And mine were only 1 pair 2"-3" in a 20 gal tall.

Two females shouldn't be too aggressive towards each other, but like almost all cichlids, they will need to establish dominance and territories. Females are the same as males in that respect.

A larger tank would be best suited, just so you know. As they grow, having less space to swim and hide or to establish territory can make the aggression worse. Convicts are awesome cichlids, but can be some nasty snots.

As Acer stated, flower pots are great in cichlid tanks. They love "caves". Make sure you're using the terra cotta pots and that you use new ones, well cleaned. To break out the bottom use a flat head screwdriver at the "seam" and gently hit the screwdriver with a hammer, this will crack out the bottom. I use a dremmel to smooth off any sharp edges, then soak them in water for a few hours. After soaking, I use a green scrubby pad to clean. Don't use any soap or chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom