some kind of crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
The picture is not overly clear but the crab is cream colored with shrimp colored markings. His legs have long hairs or fuzz on them. I did not buy this and this is the first time I've seen him. He must usually stay hidden but this morning he was on a rock. I went to take him out just in case he was a bad crab but he was dead. I don't think I like that much better than the idea of bad crabs. Wonder what killed him and if he has any relatives staying with me. Any ideas?

I looked around on a bunch of other sites for it, but no luck, sorry.

How big was it? Looks like it might be a harmless pea crab. Not much detail in the pic to be sure though.

Cheers
Steve

He was about 3/4 inch wide in body not including legs. His legs were hairy but not like those tarantula looking crabs. He was cream colored with pinkish markings but didn't look like the anemone crabs I have seen pictures of. I don't know much about crabs but I had originally tried to remove him because I had heard so much about rock crab hitchhikers eating all my good stuff. And oh yeah that is a bed of what I think is cyano and I absolutely can't get rid of the stuff. I HATE it. Nasty stuff.

I have the same thing. My story is the exact same. He showed up out of nowhere and appeared dead. I think he may have molted though and still be around. I am kind of new to this and couldn't find any answers anywhere.
He also was a hitchhiker.

I found the same thing in my tank this morning - I can't find an identification though. Unless someone says differently, he's staying. If he was there when I bought the rock, and he doesn't hurt anything, I'll keep him. We think he's kind of cute. He's joined my cleaning crew!

Terry

if the pitchers are sharp points then it will become a porb ! if there more round flat at the tips then 50/50 chance of issues :) my 2 cent

I was excited to see him and will not be tossing him out of the tank anytime soon, unless I start having problems or read more about him and find he is bad news. Obviously everyone is living in harmony at this point, so I am assuming he is not a "bad guy". Unfortunately nobody seems to know what he is.

It is a species of xanthid crab. Although they are not much of a problem while small, feeding on algae and leftovers, they have a tendency to become carnivores as they get bigger. I had one that was about the size of a quarter not including legs and he ended up being a snail eater, digging into the sand for nassarius snails. Just gotta keep an eye on them.

Here's one of the guys that people tell me are evil. Yes, he looks evil...but he's alright so far. He only seem interested in digging holes in my rock.

No offense, but he is sort of scary looking. I am curious if he will ever cause a problem. I really don't want to boot my hitchhiker out. I am a softy for a li'l crab.

I don't believe any crab is truly evil. And most don't become a problem til they get large. They may be fine forever in your tank or they may not. Some will get large enough to take out small fish as well as inverts in your tank. I imagine at the same time they are a benefit to your system by cleaning up left over food and such. Just gotta weight the good and the bad and decide whether you want to take a chance with them or not.

Back
Top Bottom