Some kind of fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhines

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMG_2172.JPGIMG_2171.JPG

Have a skunk Cory that I just noticed this on. Anyone have a clue and do I need to isolate him? Contagious? I don't see it on any other fish in the tank.

If it is fuzzy then fungus yes.Looks like old food stuck to him??
Look up fungal treatments if fuzzy.

It think it looks like ich, which is contagious though I don't have any personal experience with it. In that first picture it kind of looks like there's some on the face of your other cory as well, the one on the left. Even if it's not ich, white fuzzy stuff on a fish is usually a contagious sickness no matter what the cause. But again I'm no expert.. Just telling you as much as I know.

Ich can kill everything in your tank so you should remove the sick cory from the tank and quarantine it if possible. Either way I believe the entire tank needs to be treated for ich because even if it's not on the fish it can still be alive in your tank and keep reinfecting your fish. You can treat it with medicines I think but you can also raise the temperature very high to like 86 or 88 degrees F and that will also kill it but please do your research and don't quote me on those numbers:)

Good luck

I'd go with fungus or some sort of infection as well. Generally something triggers these things eg sharp driftwood so worth checking if it just appeared or you noticed anything else in the same spot on him prior to looking like this?

Ich will look like white, scattered, salt like crystals all over the fish to varying degrees.

Thank you guys for responding. I am going to treat the tank for a fungus and see how that does. I've seen ich before and it just doesn't look like it. I also called our aquarium store that we frequent and they said it sounds like an injury that has gotten infected. We have driftwood that they usually hang around. I have parashield, which treats ich and some other things, that I am going to try, if it doesn't, we will get the bacteshield. We live quite a ways from an aquarium store and they said it may work too, so going to try that first. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom