Some more sump plans that need approval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found an 18g that i could use for a sump for my 75g FOWLR that i'm building. I would like to go with Fuge & Skimmer. Is this design decent?

img_455650_0_50e6f5043df522cba12be36d69b2f9fa.bmp

Was also wondering if i split the 18g into 3 compartments so i could include a fuge, that would only give each area 6 gallons of space. Is there a way to do all three (skimmer, fuge, pump) with this 18g? Or would it be best to do the first design or something different. Trying to be frugal here.

yeah its fine. like most things the bigger the better but there are commercial units that are only 3 gallons and some of the bigger ones top off at about 5gallon. it really boils down to what you want to keep in there, really. if you going to do a mini DSB it might be a little cramped in there, but if you wanted to do live rock/algae that would be fine. the design (not volume) is really the most important thing, you should try to make sure it gets a flow of fresh water but not so all the water in the fuge is turned over all at once, you want the water to stay in there for a little while, have some bleed off and then replenished with fresh water from the tank.

but it's ok if i don't have any plans for chemical filtration or bio ball type stuff?

well those are 2 of hte 3 types of filtration, chemical uses carbon, and biological use bio balls. there are work around for biological filtration, like using alot of live rock, or using a Algae truf scrubber for example. would you mind going into deal about what your thinking of using ?

i'm going to have an 18gallon sump. And i just want to use it as best as i can. So I was thinking fuge, skimmer & return pump. How big each compartment should be i don't know. I was also thinking about incorporating the skimmer and pump return compartment together so that i only have a total of two compartments, fuge & skimmer/return.

I also have an emporer power filter that uses carbon. I could use it as a HOB chemical filtration on the sump in the skimmer compatment but i don't knwo if that's even worth it. So those are my questions i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom