Some pics of my new 450g marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a lot of potential! Will you be installing the tank lights directly from the suspended ceiling? Seems like the logical thing to do.
I am trying to figure out my lighting situation. This tank is already costing me way over what I anticipated so I may go for the most economical MH fixtures that lay on top of the tank. Suspending them is tempting but I am afraid they will get in the way since my only access inside the tank is through 2 large oval cuts in the top. One of my other posts on lighting has some pics so you can see what I mean.

Thanks all for you kind words....

Pete R.

that's so sweet! My wife has been bugging me for a pool.......................i wonder if that would qualify...........................450 gallons...............WOW 8O

Jim

pete thats rocks!! i can fit my hand in my ten gallon, but thats about it :wink: i bet that getting into it was a pain huh? i cant wait to watch it progress! good luck, i'm so jealous!

peterac said:
... Suspending them is tempting but I am afraid they will get in the way since my only access inside the tank is through 2 large oval cuts in the top. One of my other posts on lighting has some pics so you can see what I mean.

Get creative. Find some retro kits and build a wood box pendant that is suspended from the ceiling... but can be raised through pullies for tank maintenance. Should be very easy to accomplish and still look good.

If you hang it from the ceiling, you could put a small hook on the ceiling and one on the side of the MH. when they get in the way you could swing it up there and let it hang untill you are done. HTH

Thats the first time that 380 lbs of live rock didn't look like much.

That is one huge tank man! So sweet looking!

(But for some reason, it just looks like a TON of maintaince to me. :) )

(But for some reason, it just looks like a TON of maintaince to me. )

I suppose the maintenance will be involved but the stability I will have will hopefully make up for it. I will tell you that the custom Mag Float magnet that I bought (for $200 - ouch!) is a Godsend. I can't even begin to explain how strong the magnet is. If anyone has any enemies you can borrow it and just put it near their computer :twisted:

Thanks!

Pete R.

Just watch your fingers with that! It will be worth the time and money when it's all said and done. I hope your not moving anytime soon though. That would be a job!

Mike

wow. that must be a huge mag float. how thick is the tank? my 25 dollar mag float kills my fingers! You could crush a mans head with a 200 dollar one!

I know that bigger tanks are more stable, but what would kill me is the water changes. I would rather not have to mix 50 gallons of water a week thank you! :p

What are you going to stock it with?

I never thought of that one Rocket. I guess I should stop complaining about water changes in my 90G. :oops:

Mike

that's just it. 400 gallons with the right amount of LR/LS and not overstocked you wouldn't hardly need to do water changes.

I only do water changes in my 55 maybe once every 1-2 months. I have a very lightly stocked tank.

I think this tank progression is going to be one of the most fun things to watch on this site. I almost feel like we have been a part of it.

as always, we need more pics :)

Thanks. I REALLY appreciate the interest and I will make it a point to keep everyone involved in the progression. There is probably a preferred way on this site to start a thread as such. Is there a "show my tank's progression" forum I should use?

My tank is still cycling. NH3 is zero and nitrites were coming down as of a few days ago. I still need better lights - I think I will go with MH because even if I use VHOs I will need too much real estate on top of the tank and it will be a pain to move eveything during mainenance. I also am shopping for a PS and UV sterilizer (I can't seem to make up my mind on these).

I'll probably start with some B-G Chromis and some Tangs and go from there. Slow and steady I always say.

Regards,
Pete R.

I would go with the MH as well with your tank. I think you will have better coverage, and less bulbs to operate.
The Chromis will look outstanding in there. Give it another 6 weeks or so before adding the Tangs and you will be all set. I sent you a PM regarding your setup. I am in the process of building a house, and would like your feedback as well for setting up a new 240G or 300G. So far I have received some great responses, but I just want to make sure I don't overlook anything. Thanks

Mike

Back
Top Bottom