Someone ate all my shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am at a loss as to where my shrimp have gone. I started out with 6 amano shrimp, 6 red cherry shrimp, and 5 ghost shrimp in my planted tank. Over the course of 2 weeks, I am now down to 3 amano shrimp. The ghosts and cherries have dissappeared. The cherries are half the size of the amano and ghosts, so I am not too shocked, but I cant figure out who is eating all my shrimp. :confused:
My current fish stock is:
1 female GBR ( she used to livein a tank with ghost shrimp and there was never an issue )
1 juvenile pearl gourami apx 1.5 inches
1 Angelica Botia apx 1.5 inches
1 yo-yo loach apx 1 inch
1 baby kuhli loach

The loaches seem to be my most likely culprit, but as I have never had either of these kinds of loaches before, I am not sure what to think. They were ordered online as a trio of 3 golden zebra loaches, to control my pond snail problem....but one didnt make the trip, and the other two are clearly NOT zebra loaches, let alone even the same kind of loach. Long story.........

Anyway.....does anyone have experience with either of these loaches, or any of my above fish eating shrimp? The loaches have done thier job well, and there is not a pond snail to be found in the tank now. In fact.....today I found an empty nerite snail shell. The little boogers are eating me out of all my algae control!!!

I stopped trying to keep loaches because every single one I've tried to keep actively hunted all of my shrimps. Those would be the most likely culprit imho

It could be the pearl gourami but I think the loaches are a more likely culprit. The amano shrimp can be ruled out since they feed on algae

It could be the pearl gourami but I think the loaches are a more likely culprit. The amano shrimp can be ruled out since they feed on algae

Well Amanos are scavengers and will eat meat or algae, and are good at eating algae. But I almost have had them tear each others arms off to get the Hikari bottom feeder wafers and they will grab a shrimp pellet or other, like Shrimp Cuisine or Crab Cuisine and sit there eating it like a hamburger, lol! That said, I have a couple in the tank with my Cherry shrimp, I think their focus is mainly on anything dead, or not alive.

Pearl Gourami, but my other adult size Amanos live with my Pearl Gourami.
Never seen him give the Amanos a second look.

Could be loaches. I don't have a great deal of experience with too many different Loaches. I know Kuhli loaches will eat little baby shrimp.

Also sometimes the shrimp molt, especially after a good water change, and then hide really well for a few days.

The Amanos are probably fine with those fish when they are adults. Just make sure there are some little hiding places especially when they molt. They would be at high risk of being eaten.

I agree that it is likely the loaches but just wanted to mention that I have seen my ram go after my Amanos -- in fact I'm pretty sure he got a few. I'd say that it's likely against the norm for them to do that but the possibility always remains. RCS would have very little chance with that stock unless they had a ton of places to hide.

You know over the years I've often heard the only truly shrimp safe fish is an oto... lol! But I've kept countless different species of loaches over the years and can tell you they are indeed predators. I've found if snails run out on the menu they will gladly go after any shrimp, especially if they are soft from a molt. Even if a shrimp is too large I've seen them harass them to death, especially if you have a group of loaches. But I can also tell you I've seen my share of rams go after shrimp also. If all your ghost shrimp weren't gone I wouldn't put the killings past them either.

You know over the years I've often heard the only truly shrimp safe fish is an oto... lol! But I've kept countless different species of loaches over the years and can tell you they are indeed predators. I've found if snails run out on the menu they will gladly go after any shrimp, especially if they are soft from a molt. Even if a shrimp is too large I've seen them harass them to death, especially if you have a group of loaches. But I can also tell you I've seen my share of rams go after shrimp also. If all your ghost shrimp weren't gone I wouldn't put the killings past them either.

Agreed, good point on the ghost shrimp, they shouldn't really be kept with other cherry type/dwarf shrimp, they are often aggressive.

Another big issue with ghost shrimp is often times other species of shrimp and even krill are mixed in and some of them are actually small fish eaters to boot.

Wow. I had no idea ghost shrimp were like that.
Well, I suppose keeping shrimp in this tank wont work with the loaches so I dont think I will waste my money on any more expensive snacks, lol.
Perhaps, some day, a shrimp only tank will be in my future. :)
For now....the otos will have to up thier game.......and hopefully the rest of the nerites will steer clear of loaches. So much for my "peaceful" planted tank. :p

It's peaceful.. just a different kind of peaceful... the kind with portable snacks :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom