Something coming out of log.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bren501

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

New to the forum and have a query.
I've recently set up a fresh water tropical tank for my turtles. Added in these floating logs for them to perch on and have been in there for 3 days. There seems to be a mist of liquid coming out of the wood.... Im not 100% sure what it I'm guess it's a sap of some kind. The water isn't discoloured so not thing it tannin. Has anybody experienced this before and have any recommendations on how to stop it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405888719.031433.jpg

Sent from my Brens iPhone using Aquarium Advice

hmmmm I very vaguely remember hearing about this stuff leeching from some driftwood when I was soaking my own pieces of driftwood for the first time.

I never had this issue myself but if I were you I would set up a tub (tupperware or bucket) and keep soaking this piece so it isn't in your main tank, at least until you get a definitive answer.

That looks like fungus that is commonly seen with new driftwood. You could leave it alone until it goes away on its own. Or you boil the piece of DW.

That looks like fungus that is commonly seen with new driftwood. You could leave it alone until it goes away on its own. Or you boil the piece of DW.

+1 harmless..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had some of that on the DW in my tank. The snails and my pleco ate it.

Ok guys thanks for the advise. I'll prob give them a clean of and leave it to soak in a deprecate tub as I ain't got snails or a plec in there yet.

This just happened to me with my new driftwood. I tried scrubbing it off but it came back immediately. I've just left it for a few days and it's going away slowly on its own.

Thanks a lot mine has cleared up now. I have to synodontis catfish in there which gladly ate it all.

Its a fungus and it is resistant to boiling. That is, boiling will not kill the organism. I had wood like this that I boiled more than 12 times and each time the fungus would come back. Its not just sap because the fungus eventually grows on the walls of my 7 gallon cooking pot within 48 hours after boiling. Its harmless and readily eaten by fish (plecos, mollies) and snails.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom