Something for fish to hide in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

realdeal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for an idea/ornament/etc for my 36 gallon community tank for possible future fry to hide in, like a cave or something. I can't find anything online or at the LFS'

I am going for the natural look however, no live plants.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Petsmart sells some good resin holey rocks. I have one in my tank, it's pretty big too.

realdeal said:
I am looking for an idea/ornament/etc for my 36 gallon community tank for possible future fry to hide in, like a cave or something. I can't find anything online or at the LFS'

I am going for the natural look however, no live plants.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm using small terra cotta pots with a doorway chipped in and smoothed, not for fry however. I know nothing (yet) about breeding and keeping fry alive. I considered but never got around to slathering the outside of the pot with aquarium adhesive or silicone and rolling it in some extra substrate I have so it would blend in. I've also siliconed rocks together (though I'm not thrilled with the adhesion on some and have removed them) to make caves.

More fun than dioramas in school! :lol:

~g

No need to have decorations. Java Moss would work well.

I don't know if I missed it. No live plants. Gotcha!

Fry need a tiny crevice to hide in, they won't really retreat to a cave... They actually hide in the gravel when they are really small, so if you aren't gonna go with Java Moss (one of the best for hiding fry) then I would maybe stack a whole bunch of smaller rocks like Lava or Lace, and make the piles deep so it forms many tiny caves instead of one huge one.

Check out my profile pictures of my rock-scape. I just went to Home Depot and just got a bunch of slate chips which totaled to about $8, and it looks extremely natural, my fish love it!

Back
Top Bottom