Something red

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
This took about a month to get this size and now it has sprouted in a new place. I'm wondering what it is and if it is harmful.

Macro algae it responds and grows to the demand of the amount of food it has ...it can grow to plague proportions , dont pop it , it will send out spores and really get out of hand . I think it is called Acrosorium ciliolatum . Some think it is cool but I removed it from mine as I didnt like it .
algae pics

Looks like it could be a Nemastoma sp. I don't know if popping it will spread it like bubble algae but just like all algaes, you can limit it's growth by limiting the nutrients in your tank and regular pruning. I think it's lovely. :)

Fluff we popped ours by accident it then started to grow in another part of the tankl. So I assume it released spores . could be wrong tho . If I knew you liked it I would have sent it to you LOL

Are you serious if you are and you want it when I have it grow if it grows back I will send it to you all you have to pay is shipping :)

Fluff, I'll send you mine! I have a feeling I'll have more than enough to decorate my little tank!.. But this stuff doesn't seem to have bubbles, it is growing in sheets. What appears as bubbles in the camera are more like ruffles where the sheet has folded back on itself and become pleated.

The first pic is best at showing this. On the right-hand side you are looking down through several semi-transparent layers of the red stuff. As it matures, it loses transparency.

I saw something like it at the LFS today but his was one continuous flat sheet that was bigger than his outstretched hand... He called it a "leaf" - It could have been the same thing, but I don't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom