Species reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Otocinclus

2 Stars

Brought 9 twice for a 110litre tank filled with algae and plants. They all died except one. So over a month 17 of these guys died in my tank. Hardly touched the algae and were always on their own never in a group. Still have no idea how they died. Water params all fine and no bullies in the tank. The two stars is because they didn't devour my plants in their short life.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're known to be very difficult to acclimate and keep alive longer than a month.

Acarichthys heckelii 4 Stars

Beautiful fish, really interactive, always sifting through sand. Only negative is, and this is probably just because he was introduced last, he gets shoved around by my severum a lot. I wish he'd stick up for himself a little more so I don't have to keep going to the glass and shooing away my severum. I'm planning on a rescape though that'll break up any territories formed so hopefully he'll earn his extra star.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Chromobotia Macracanthus (the clown loach)
1&5star fish!
Definitely fun to watch, so for character they get full marks.
1star for size and care, they get big!
Ive had my shoal for ages and I love them. (Actual love!)

Tetraodon Biocellatus. Figure 8 puffer.
Now I'm going to break the mould here, 10stars!
This fish is excellent, I play peek a boo with mine and I hand feed it. A true pet!
It's the one fish I'd keep if could only have one tank.
Bags of character but just a little bit more involved with regards to care over freshwater fishes. Definitely worth the extra effort. . .

New favourite tetra,
Hyphessobrycon anisitsi, buenos aires tetra.
4star but only because they get a little larger than most other tetra.
Really worth watching these guys eat! Really lovely colourful fish but a bit more nippy than the others I've kept, needs a larger shoal.
(Will eat whatever is offered)

All members of the family Loricariidae, my favourite family of fish by a mile,
I've kept hypostomus sp. (large to 18") G. gibbiceps (large to 15")
Both are omnivore (preference vegetable) gibbiceps is more boisterous, both easy going with water but need lots of care because they are messy! They produce an inordinate amount of waste! (Hypostomus was a gentle giant.)
Peppermint plec (5" prefers soft water) blue phantom (5" prefers soft water)
Both great fish but you hardly see them, phantom eats snails otherwise typical food for omnivorous fish in both cases.
Bristlenose (4.5" good worker) omnivore (preference vegetable)
papa plec L203 (wood eater & it's going to be big!)
and finally LDA1 panaque (wood eater, 4")
You can find a plec for almost any situation! But I can't really give the family a score as each is so different.

There's more but that'll do. . .

Platies

4 stars

Great community fish. Usually considered peaceful. Live bearers. Gave them 4 out of 5 stars because I happened to get one the was an obsessive bully. All platy tank and 3:1 female to make ratio. Still love the ones I have and miss the bully. He was a diamond in the rocks in the world of platies. Blue body, orange sailfin, black tail fin with a red outline. I wish I had a pic!

Charity

Celestial pearl danio (CPD)

5 stars

Small
Easy to acclimate
Not picky about food
Colorful
Active
Good schooler
Peaceful

img_3162791_0_d8722d84c1fcb00d0ede8b245aa98f36.jpg

Back