splotches on tank glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed the other day that I have 4-5 light brown splotches on my tank glass. It's kind of near the bottom near the substrate line. They scrape off. Ideas on what it is?

Interesting. Thanks for that. It says silicates could be a cause - is that something that's usually found in tap water?

Yep, sounds like diatoms. They thrive on silicates associated with newly setup aquariums and should go away as the tank matures. Cleaning decor and the glass along with vacuuming will help alot. Also ottos luv diatoms as do most sm plecos.

Yes so are you treating your water before you do a wc? If not you might want to think about it, also are you checking your nitrite and nitrate levels? If so what are they? You have to treat your tap water as well as your tank with a silicate remover :) search it on here many great suggestions already on threads ;)

If you don't have a planted tank you can use phosphate remover in your filter, phosphate remover also removes silicates. Another great diatom eater are nerite snails. The small horned nerites are very active fast little workers and they can't breed in freshwater so you don't have to worry about a population explosion. As your tank matures they will go away on their own but they do wipe off quite easily.

Yep, sounds like diatoms. They thrive on silicates associated with newly setup aquariums and should go away as the tank matures. Cleaning decor and the glass along with vacuuming will help alot. Also ottos luv diatoms as do most sm plecos.

How long does it take to go away on it's own? My tank is still cycling so I do lots of water changes and vacuum & lean the glass several times a week.

If you don't have a planted tank you can use phosphate remover in your filter, phosphate remover also removes silicates. Another great diatom eater are nerite snails. The small horned nerites are very active fast little workers and they can't breed in freshwater so you don't have to worry about a population explosion. As your tank matures they will go away on their own but they do wipe off quite easily.

No plants yet but I will add some soon. I'll also look into snails, I don't think my tank is big enough for otos or a pleco but could handle snails. Are nerite snails easily found?

One of our LFS carries regualar olive nerites but in order to find other types you would probably need to order them. Check our or post on this forums classified section, check out aquabid and ebay, or look into some of the fish stores online. I wanted some of the fancier ones so ordered them.

One of our LFS carries regualar olive nerites but in order to find other types you would probably need to order them. Check our or post on this forums classified section, check out aquabid and ebay, or look into some of the fish stores online. I wanted some of the fancier ones so ordered them.

hmm....ok. I only really have a petsmart or petco but I'll give them a call to see. If not, I'll look online. Thanks!

birdma said:
hmm....ok. I only really have a petsmart or petco but I'll give them a call to see. If not, I'll look online. Thanks!

Petco should have zebra nerite snails. Wonderful little guys! I have 3 in my 55 gal and they go all over the place.

Ooh, that gives me hope! :). I was looking at some snails online and they're really cool looking.

Back
Top Bottom