Sponge Filter vs Bubbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i'm going to start a daphnia culture in the next week or so. Here's what i know:

Sponge filter: usually powered by a bubbler and is a great biological filtration. Very minimum in terms of mechanical filtration and chemical filtration. used for fry tank or tank with small fish/inverts

Bubbler: oxygenate the water and create minor surface agitation

If you have a nicely established fry tank or small fish tank, why do people even use sponge filter? the tank should have all the beneficial bacteria there is to convert all the chemicals in the water? also the sponge eventually gets clogged with gunk and, at least to me, poses a potential health hazard for the critters in the tank. What is the added benefit of the sponge filter over a regular bubbler, assuming the tank is well established?

If you only have a bubbler your not going to have filtration. You need the sponge to have area for the bacteria to settle in. As the water mines trough the sponge the bacteria will work on changing ammonia to nitrates.

but if the tank is well established and loaded with all the bacteria, would you still need the sponge filter? or would a regular bubbler work?

Ok you may have bacteria in you gravel or sand but if your not moving the water trough this the bacteria is not able to remove the ammonia

Simpler way to think is that you have flour and milk in the same bowl but if you don't mix it you can't make a cake.

The other advantage of the sponge filter in a fry tank is that the fry will graze on the microfauna on the surface of the sponge.

Back
Top Bottom