Sprung a leak - getting new set-up today - Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeAnne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I should of warned you guys from the get-go - you know that saying "it could only happen to........" well, I am the ...!!

Family woke me up at 2:30 a.m. - seems my 55 gal (used) tank that I have been trying to get going (ammonia problem) sprung a leak and was going down fast! I have salvaged the water, fish, filter, all decorations, etc. into 2 large totes. Worry about water on the floor later! I had all this done within 45 minutes - knowing I have to keep the decor/filter wet in order to salvage the good bacteria. - :(

Going shopping today for a larger set-up (finding out it can never be too large) and need advice on what to do next. :ermm:

Can I reuse the tank water in the new (will be diluted of course by not having enough) and place all the decor and filter in and pray? I know it is going to be a bumpy ride (cause it has been all along) but want to do my best not to lose my livestock. :nono:

Sigh. :banghead:

Ouch! Sorry about that! Keep the decor, substrate and filters wet (although it seems you already know that!). Once you get the new tank, just rinse it out thoroughly and check for leaks and then set it up with the decor and filter from the broken tank, it shouldn't matter if you put in new water (dechlorinated of course!). Before you put the fish into the new tank I would acclimate them slowly using a drip method so they get used to the temperature. I might be missing something so let someone else chime in too.

If I remember right this tank is a fish-in cycle tank, right? Moving everything over should just continue the cycle as it has been if you use all the same decor and filters, etc. I would do it fast though, fish probably won't keep for long in a bucket --- remember to change their water daily, add an air stone if you can and a heater until you can move them over to the tank.

Thanks Librarygirl! Got reassurance from this super great FS that I did the right thing - this place is awesome - family run business - trust them - they KNOW their stuff - been in business 30+ years.

Bought a beautiful set-up from them I fell in love with when I first visited their store 2 weeks ago - didn't think I would be buying anything like that so soon - awesome red oak stand - canopy - 90 gal - whoo-hoo - upgrading? might as well! I just became my fishies new best friend!

Have rinsed it out - ready to go but drying out the carpet first where it will stand - set-up first thing in the morning (it is midnight now) - so far all my fishies are well - I have the filter and heater going in their temporary home. Have Prime all ready and will add the rest of the water saved from last night's disaster. I have a Fluval 405 (rated up to 100 gal tank) but FS said they over rate them so may need an an add-on. Or switch my son's out on his 75 gal (I bought them both) it is a Fluval FX5 - we'll see!

Can't wait to get it going - I will be returning to Roe Aquarium (Rock Island, IL) to get my Angels once everything is stable. This store is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom