stacking live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i just got live rock the other day and i have been looking on your photo gallery to some idea's how to stack it and make it look nice. but i cant seem to do nothing but make it look like 1 big pile in the middle. lol
does any one have any idead i could?
i have a 24g aqua pod and i just bought 16lbs of live rock.
thanks so much
burlinn

I have a FOWLR. I have about 60LBS in my 55 Gallon. I generally move it around from time to time to see what I like. I felt the same way as you, but now I have better ideas of where to put them and how to stack them....

Are you planning on having corals in the future? I would just try to create slopes, to make it easier for when you're going to start adding stock to your tank. The rocks may seem oddly shaped, but once you start adding corals, it will start to brighten up nicely. If you're sticking to FOWLR, simply play around with it, you don't need to stick to 1 idea forever :D

i have a 24 g aqua pod with 16 lbs of live rock in it. i boughti from dr fostersmith .com
and i do belive that i could not hold another 16 pounds to meet the min req. for a coral tank. i think it is 1.5-1.75 gallons per gallon. if i put in another 16 i will have no space for anything even coral.
is it a must to have that much live rock? if so how can i make my tank better with out adding more?
also is there any one out there with this 24 gallon aqua pod that could tell me how to add a protein skimmer to the enclosed system?
thanks much
burlinn

IMO, you shouldn't get too caught up on pure pounds or weight. The size and purousness (sp?) of the rock makes the difference. In other words surface area of the rocks and the amount of nooks and crannies in the rock (think Thomas' english muffin) is what matters most I think to harbor beneficial bacteria and micro critters.

Back
Top Bottom