Stains on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgraz

Aquarium Advice Freak
So finally I have gotten sick of looking at it so how do I clean it. It seems to be hard water staining on the top few and bottom few inches of the glass. I have tried razor blades but it does not do anything. To touch it feels a bit more rough then the rest of the glass. It was there when I got the tank used but seems to have gotten worse over the past few months. Now it's really getting to me. Basically it looks like a fogging of the glass. Algae builds up pretty quick on those areas but come off easily with razor/scrapers. For what it's worth this was a freshwater aquarium before I got it and it seems the prior owner just let water evaporate for awhile before draining. Then when the water got to the bottem he just let it evaporate off til gone. I have seen some glass cleaners available but all say to not use in a running tank. Do I stand a chance here of getting rid of it? Thanks in advance for the assist.

Maybe the glass surface has somehow become scoured?

Thank seems like the culprit. I was wondering if some sandpaper would work. The kind that is used to polish glass.

Probably, just as long as you don't use any compounds or chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom