Stalled Cycle?? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, quick recap, i have another thread going on in the FOWLR section but ill refresh everyone just to make it easier.

7/30/12 i started my cycle on my 16G BowFront

15lbs of Live Rock
Live Sand

I added a piece of raw shrimp that night and let it do its thing, after a few days of testing, my numbers kept climbing up a little and then kind of stayed at certain levels. (Ammo .25ppm-.50ppm, Nitrite .25ppm-.50ppm and Nitrate reaching almost 10ppm.)

After the first piece of shrimp was almost completely dissolved, i added 2 more small pieces to maintain constant ammonia.

Sunday night(8/12) i tested my parameters and they were
HR ph 8.0
Ammo 0-.25ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrates 5-10ppm

Yesterday and today my parameters were
HR pH 8.0
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

I'm using the API Master Saltwater Test Kit, havent done any water changes, only topped off the water once with straight RO water... anyone have any clue as to why my numbers are at 0 now??? (Sorry about the long post)

Hi Dan,
Add a lot more shrimp in a net or filter bag wait a 1/2 day then start testing for amonia you want to get it over 1 ppm if the amonia goes over 4 ppm remove the shrimp put in a ziplock bag label do not eat and freeze. when the amonia gets under 1 ppm add the shrimp again. start testing for nitrites they should be going up and up then drop almost all at once. at this point do a big water change, have a beer, go buy a fish.

angelfish4 said:
Hi Dan,
Add a lot more shrimp in a net or filter bag wait a 1/2 day then start testing for amonia you want to get it over 1 ppm if the amonia goes over 4 ppm remove the shrimp put in a ziplock bag label do not eat and freeze. when the amonia gets under 1 ppm add the shrimp again. start testing for nitrites they should be going up and up then drop almost all at once. at this point do a big water change, have a beer, go buy a fish.

Well that's kinda what happened now except my ammonia never got past .50ppm. But everything dropped at once even my nitrAtes.

Basically I have to start all over??

DanS180 said:
No one has any idea??

Dan im afraid the above test results are impossible. Im guessing your test kit is off by the fact you have 0 nitrates. Nitrates should be very elevated, they do not disappear for no reason.

Schism said:
Dan im afraid the above test results are impossible. Im guessing your test kit is off by the fact you have 0 nitrates. Nitrates should be very elevated, they do not disappear for no reason.

Trust me I know that, which is why I'm confused.. I used my a brand new API SW test kit. I have pictures of the actually results on my other thread if ya wanna check em out. One person said he thought I had nitrAtes but then I tested the following day and there was def 0 nitrates

Even 1ppm ammonia is too low. Aim for 3ppm-4ppm. Then when it goes to zero bring it back up. Then when it comes back down you're done. A water change will lower the nitrates and you can add 1 fish and a couple coral. Add a fish at most every 2 weeks.

Well that's kinda what happened now except my ammonia never got past .50ppm. But everything dropped at once even my nitrAtes.

Basically I have to start all over??
Yes by your low level of amonia you wasted some time. you may have all the types of bacteria you need but your populations may be too small to show good results in testing. get your amoina up over 1ppm.

DanS180 said:
Trust me I know that, which is why I'm confused.. I used my a brand new API SW test kit. I have pictures of the actually results on my other thread if ya wanna check em out. One person said he thought I had nitrAtes but then I tested the following day and there was def 0 nitrates

API is notoriously inaccurate so best to have your water tested against another kit to be sure of the levels.

Dosing ammonia right now would be what i would do. Ramp your ammonia back up and let it do its thing.

I think instead of doing the shrimp deal, I'm gonna go out and buy pure ammonia and try it that way, good idea?

DanS180 said:
I think instead of doing the shrimp deal, I'm gonna go out and buy pure ammonia and try it that way, good idea?

Yep, will allow you to watch the levels much easier. Dose ammonia up to 4ppm and sit back and watch. Test daily or every few days.

Schism said:
Yep, will allow you to watch the levels much easier. Dose ammonia up to 4ppm and sit back and watch. Test daily or every few days.

Sounds good, what do u recommend I do about the test kit?? It was working perfectly fine then not so much a few days later? Return it? Get a different brand?

DanS180 said:
Sounds good, what do u recommend I do about the test kit?? It was working perfectly fine then not so much a few days later? Return it? Get a different brand?

I would double check it with another test kit or bring a water sample to your LFS for them to test.

Schism said:
I would double check it with another test kit or bring a water sample to your LFS for them to test.

Okay then that's what I will do, thanks alot guys!!! I appreciate it

Quick question, how do I know how much to dose to get it to 4ppm? I've never done the pure ammonia method

DanS180 said:
Quick question, how do I know how much to dose to get it to 4ppm? I've never done the pure ammonia method

Well it depends on the percentage ammonia. If its 10% then for a 16g tank (60.64 liters) x .01= .6064 * 4 = 2.4256 ml of 10% ammonia to get 4ppm.

Thats just my quick math. So feel free to recheck

1ppm Ammonia in 1 liter requires .001ml @10% = .01ml
1g = 3.79 liters.

Heres a link to a calc that will do the math for you.
http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Schism said:
Well it depends on the percentage ammonia. If its 10% then for a 16g tank (60.64 liters) x .01= .6064 * 4 = 2.4256 ml of 10% ammonia to get 4ppm.

Thats just my quick math. So feel free to recheck

1ppm Ammonia in 1 liter requires .001ml @10% = .01ml
1g = 3.79 liters.

Heres a link to a calc that will do the math for you.
http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Lmao I feel like i was talking to Sheldon from Big Bang Theory lol.. I'll have to look at that when I get home, thank you again!!

DanS180 said:
Lmao I feel like i was talking to Sheldon from Big Bang Theory lol.. I'll have to look at that when I get home, thank you again!!

Lol yep no problem.

Make sure that you are doing the nitrate test correctly. It is very important that you follow the instructions to the T. Not shaking the bottles....etc will throw off the results.

Back
Top Bottom