Stand and Tank Stability/Safety???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wheresknott

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I bought a 40G breeder and Stand from small pet store (unfortunately no returns to this store). When I finally got around to setting it up I found that the tank is not totally straight. I found this out when I was trying to place it on the stand. Its one of those stands that has the hollow center. When I went to place the tank on the stand two corners (diagonal from each other) seemed to meet up with the corner of the stand and the other two didn't seem to make it as far. I would then go under the stand and look up at the tank and try to adjust it as best I could to make sure that they two sides that didn't meet up with the corners was supported as best as I could make it. I literally spent 1 hour adjusting from the top and then going underneath to adjust again.... Anyway I just wanted to get your thoughts on support of the tank. Also, how much of the tank has to be sitting on the stand to make is solid.... Attaches are a couple pics..... One of these shows a good corner vs a not so good corner. I also included a couple pics from underneath.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5912.jpg
    IMG_5912.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5913.jpg
    IMG_5913.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5923.jpg
    IMG_5923.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5922.jpg
    IMG_5922.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Another under the tank shot

Attachments

• IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 54
those particle board stands don't give much of a lip to sit on , I can see your concern with this , as long as a good portion of the plastic base frame is in contact with the stand it should be fine once you add water the tank wont move as the weight will keep it in place ,

But if you don't feel comfortable you could always add a plywood base to give you that little extra support ,

looking at your picts that is exactly how that stand was designed to hold the tank the base frame of the tank just rests on the lip of the stand (just be sure it is centered)
once it is full of water it wont move as the weight of the water is what keeps it in place.

here's a good example I didn't feel comfortable how this tank sat on the stand so I added a piece of plywood for more surface area contact
img_3450979_0_441c5d9aa881ba5073b077ba3854be2d.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom