Starfish legs being chewed on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391630757.052913.jpg

I have noticed the ends of the legs from my starfish look like they have been chewed on and eaten away. I have a clownfish and a chromi, but I had up to 3 crabs in there from last count. Would they likely be the culprit? Will my starfish be ok and have the ends of its legs grow back to normal with time?

IMO it's wasting away. What have you been feeding it.

I agree it is dying and once they start they usually don't come back. That looks like a fromia species which are pretty difficult to keep alive long term

Mine has started dying soon after it came to my system, even when I had plenty small who come with rocks. Sorry to se it.... Since than didn't get any new.

Mine has started dying soon after it came to my system, even when I had plenty small who come with rocks. Sorry to se it.... Since than didn't get any new.

Well I've had mine for over 4 months now. So you don't think the crabs had anything to do with it?

Well I've had mine for over 4 months now. So you don't think the crabs had anything to do with it?

No and honestly no one is 100% clear on their actual diet. They can take a while to truly die. 4 months isn't that long.

Well if it is actually in the process of dying they don't release any dangerous toxins in the water or anything harmful do they?

My star fish lost a leg... I blame my emerald crab. I do not add anything to specifically feed my star, and have had him for 1 yr now. I thought mine was going to die when his leg was taken, but he is still alive, and oddly enough his leg is still in the tank(about 6 months) and hasn't faded or decayed at all. I'm wishing it will grow into another star lol....

Back
Top Bottom