Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a star fish in my 35 gallon hexagon tank, my old LFS said it was an orange conical star. I can't find anything on the web that looks like him.

My new 65 gallon has been running for 24 hours now, and there are tiny star fish coming out of the rock, climbing the glass and seals. I have seen two so far. Here are pictures, can anyone tell me anything about either of these? Furthermore, will my orange star eat them when I move him to the new tank?

Attachments

• DSCN1247.jpg
    DSCN1247.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN1248.jpg
    DSCN1248.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 137
How often should I be feeding him? Currently I give him a chunk of frozen food once, occasionally twice over a two week period.

and you see him take this in? i used to feed my brittle and serpent stars whenever i fed the corals, which was a couple times a week.

Yes, he reaches out and releases from the glass with three arms. He then moves it to his center and wraps around it. Takes about an hour then he clings back to the glass. Been fine for about 2 months now.

Just feed him, here are some pics. When I put frozen food in for the clowns he starts to release from the glass, then he holds his arms out and I give him a piece. He moves it to his mouth and eats it. I do believe he killed one of my turbo snails and ate him though. He was on top of its shell one morning a few weeks ago and left it empty. Not sure if he killed it or not.

Attachments

• DSCN1275.jpg
    DSCN1275.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN1272.jpg
    DSCN1272.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 113
pretty cool, although i can't guarantee he's reef safe! that said, i have no idea if he'll eat an asterina star. i'll keep my eyes open for more info about him.

I like him a lot, he is very active and is a real conversation starter. Kids love my clowns, but the adults are all about the star. They like to watch him eat, haha. It's alright if he isn't reef safe, the tank he is going in is FOWLR. I am just interested to know what he is. I don't find anything like him when I search for orange conical star fish.

Back
Top Bottom