Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking about getting an orange linkia star and have an acclimating question. I understand that I should acclimate slowly for 2+ hours. My question is, I have been told not to expose them to air. At the same time, I have also been told to not add LFS water to your main tank. These two procedures contradict each other and I need to know the best way to get the star from my acclimating bucket into the tank. Please advise.

tripper

They say that about all fish. Just slide the starfish out of the bag and try and keep as much water as possible still in the baggy -- pull the baggy out with the water.

Easy enough?

Sounds easy enough. I also should not touch them with my hand, correct? Doesn't that irritate them or something?

IMO the key is not to touch them with the bare hand. The oil from your skin can harm them. My linkia would go out out of the water on the side of the tank so I don't think exposing them to the air is that big of a issue. If you can keep it in when doing the transfer then go ahead, I would not spend much time trying to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom