Start-up Diary of a 30XH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What decorating theme should I use for my 30XH angelfish tank?

• Ancient Ruins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural (no real plants)

• Natural (some low-light plants--please suggest some)

• Total voters

figliaperduta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I've just acquired a 30 XH aquarium (made by Perfecto Manufacturing). It's a black-trimmed glass tank, measuring 24x12x24. I'm planning to set it up as a somewhat natural-looking freshwater tank, with the 'focus' as a pair of angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare), and also three swordtails (Xiphophorus helleri), three Corydoras sp., and one Ancistrus sp., preferably male (I think the bristles are cute).

I bought it as a setup from the lfs, including the tank, hood/light, net, food, ick cure, water conditioner, Tropical Fish Hobbyist 2005 Annual, thermometer, filter (Tetra Whisper 30*), and heater (Tetra Whisper 40).

The stand is being built by my grandfather (who is a woodworker by craft), and will measure 25x15x22.

Today was mainly occupied with getting the whole setup into the house and into the appropriate room, and with cleaning it, as the price and my hold had been written directly on the aquarium glass. I used city water, straight from the tap, for the the outside, and a Scotch-Brite Heavy Duty sponge, fresh from the package. (I'm liking this sponge--it has a soft side, and a 'rough' side, which isn't rough enough to scratch the tank, but which worked well for scrubbing marker off.)

The tank will be set up in my bedroom, on an inside wall. The only household concern is the wooden floors and A) scratching and B) water damage. I've agreed to acquire a 5'x8' rubber mat and put it down underneath the tank and stand, which should help with both problems.

*--I am somewhat concerned about this filter. It is rated at 145gph, and I don't know that that's going to be enough, especially given the height of the tank. Has anyone else used this filter on this size/height of tank? Do you think I should just stick with the one, upgrade it, add a second filter of the same size, add an air pump, or what?

Also, please answer my poll--I'm undecided what decoration theme to use, so far as background and in-tank decorations go.

I voted natural no real plants because I dont think will be able to grow any. Assuming a single 20 watt bulb.

I would upgrade the filter the one you have is not even a 5 time an hour turn over. Using an airstone and pump is up to you. If you like the bubble effect then go for it.

I like your stocking plan.

Love the ancient ruins idea. i'm getting ready to set up a 55gal. and have been looking for rocks to do a sort of "mayan temple" thing... what sort of piece are you thinking of using to get the theme across? - chris

The lfs has castle and column ruins, and matching backgrounds.

The kit also came with substrate rock, 20lbs worth. Is this enough, considering the 24x12 footprint of the aquarium? I'm also going to be acquiring a piece of driftwood, and a piece of slate (I hear angelfish love slate).

I'm considering trading in the filter for an Emperor 400--I've heard many good things about this one. Except, is 400 gph too much for the aquarium, or would that actually be better than the 300 gph because of the height of the tank, as regards to getting water to circulate?

Now, about cycling. Should I let it cycle naturally, either with the swordtails or by the fishless method, or should I use some bacteria-adding product (ie, Biospira). I've heard good and bad things about all methods.

The filter has been upgraded to the Emperor 400. The lfs only charged me $10 for the upgrade, which was wonderful, as there's a $30-some discrepancy between the two prices.

Speaking of which, if you're ever in the Virginia Beach, Virginia area, there are three stores I recommend--Fish Safari, Animal Jungle, and All-Pet Discounters (the Hilltop location). The third, the stock isn't always so great, but the resident freshwater expert is Dennis, and he is WONDERFUL, and very helpful. There is also Care-A-Lot, which looks very good right now, but they just moved into a new location, and their fish room is very new, only a few weeks old. I shall have to keep an eye on that one.

Back
Top Bottom