Starter aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbwmn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all.
I just want to express my opinion on tank size.

I currently own a 46 gallon BF, 24 gallon DIY tank, a 16 gallon tall tank and a 10 gallon which is my quarantine tank.
In the 46, I have 4 dd black angels and 2 ABN’s. I think I’m close to having too much bio-load in that one.
I have 6 Neons and 5 black neons in the 16 gallon and 2 Buenos Aires Tetras + 3 Honey gouramis in the 24.

I don’t think ANY fish needs to be housed in less than a 15 or 20 gallon aquarium.
Even tho some fish are small, I think all of them need to have sufficient swimming room.
My idea of a beginner tank would be at least a 15 gallon, of course depending on the fish selection.
It bothers me to see tanks of 5 gallons or less being used as starter tanks for new fish keepers.

It also bothers me that stores like Walmart will sell fish to unknowing customers that obviously will outgrow the container, like a goldfish in a small unfiltered bowl.

I know our country doesn’t need more legislation, but it make me sick when I witness clueless actions.
I really don’t know how to address this problem without coming across in the wrong way.

Charles

I really don’t know how to address this problem without coming across in the wrong way.
education. its that simple.

no matter how much they try to cant correct stupidity though legislation.

with that being said most is not stupidity its lack of education. personally i take it as a personal failure of advanced hobbyist. i try my best to educate as many people as often as i can. but you have to remember there is a right and wrong way to do that.

how many times have you read a thread stating something like this.... OMG you wouldnt believe what i saw people buying 10 oscars for a 20 gallon tank i told them they were wrong they didnt listen was i right. i know big exageration but the simple facts are the same. more often then not its less about education and more about feeling good. oh you told those evil lfs works they were wrong looked crazy helped nothing but able to stand on the high hill.

a little off topic and a little rant though the more i learn about the hobby in all aspects the more my views change.

I agree with your sentiment, but... I've been keeping one happy, healthy betta in a five gallon and a second in a three for several months now.

The unfortunate truth is that people view fish as far more disposable than most other pets, and the relatively high "background" mortality in the fish trade tends to encourage this I think. Who here hasn't seen dozens if not hundreds of dead fish in dealer tanks over the years?

Back
Top Bottom