Starter Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read Jack Wattley's column in TFH where he recommended Discus beginners to get a variety that is more hardy for a starting place. I've had a lot of aquarium experience but have never had Discus. I'm thinking of getting a set of 6 juvies to raise up in a 55g and see if I can get them to pair off. I want a variety that is reasonably pleasing to the eye, as robust as possible for Discus, and would command a reasonable price if I ever got to the point of having raised a successful brood. Any recommendations?

I have a 75 gal discus tank. I can tell you that discus require care to make sure their water is pristine and stays that way. With juvies it is better to get a group and then remove some as they get older. Many prefer bare bottom tanks for juvies, I went the planted route. Choices for discus have a wide range. I'd recommend starting with seeing what is available in your area and psoting that here, then we could help. Discus aren't always easily accessed in good condition. I do however recommend getting them from a breeder and not the lfs.

That lines up exactly with what I've been seeing as I have been reading up on Discus. Jack Wattley recommended 40-50% WCs daily in his column and I'm working on a way to automate that because I can't imagine that kind of a bucket brigade on a 55g.

Daily pwcs should not be necessary if you have stable water. Look into a python water change system. You can DIY one rather easily. It make water changes so easy!

If you're referring to discus strains I would only avoid Heckels as they can be the most demanding. After that their requirements are the same.

I've been raising discus for years and can tell you that the more water you change, the greater your success rate becomes. A python for changing water is a back saver.

Good to know it's only the Heckels and the rest have the same level of demandingness.

Back
Top Bottom