Starting a 10g Betta haven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supovitz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently discovered my love for this new hobby after keeping a carnival goldfish alive for a decent time. Unfortunately he's gone, but I'm persevering.

Found a 10 gallon tall hexagon tank on craigslist. Has a light in the lid and came with an air pump, gravel, fake plants and some chemicals and food for $20, score.

I'm currently in the cycling stage. Installed a 50w heater. made a sponge filter corner box with Seachem Matrix rocks and biosponges and carbon to fill the cracks. I rigged a small airstone to the output of the corner box and I'll adjust the output later with a valve to reduce the current.

Two questions for you guys:

1. I replaced the light with a 25w led bulb. Research says that the wattage is low to grow live plants. Anyone disagree? Or advice with keeping them?

2. My water is cloudy and very hard. When the day comes to pick the saddest guy in the store and give him his million dollar mansion.. How do I go about getting him adjusted without shocking him?

Here's my thrifty score. Any other advice for me? Much appreciated.

Sent from my One M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1412739264983.jpg
    1412739264983.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 103
It might be too tall for you to grow anything except for low light plants. (P.S thank you so much for keeping your betta in a appropriate size tank.)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you can't spend 10 minutes googling you shouldn't be in charge of a living thing, right?

Can you recommend some low lights?

I'm wondering if I can get a better lamp for the screw in connector on the lid

Sent from my One M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank is pretty tall to keep a betta fish in it...bettas usually like shallow tanks because they come from shallow waters where they constantly go up to the surface to gulp air. 25watts of LED can be pretty bright. Led watts are different from fluorescent or incandescent watts in that LEDs are energy efficient and use less watts to produce brighter light...

As for plants maybe some java moss, java fern tied to driftwood, floating amazon frogbit, bamboo - you could have plants with leaves sticking out of the water

I agree that it might be a little tall, however, some Anubis on a suction cup at different intervals on the glass so he can get to the top and rest if he wants could make a the difference. Also, bettas with sorter fins can usually get around better so keep that in mind. I thinks it's even more important with a tall tank to be mindful of the current since he will work harder to get to the top. Beyond that, I think you're doing a great thing. I'm sure he will be happier there than in a cup.

Sent from my iPhone

For low lights, you could do jungle vallisneria and/or anarcharis for background, java fern for mid, and crypt wendtii and Anubias nana for foreground.

He would love a floating aquarium log I bet! Ours would sit in it, and it made it easy for him to gulp :). We also fed him in it sometimes :)

Also a suction-cupped betta leaf might be an option too.

I wonder if a desk lamp (led so it doesn't put out heat, maybe) can help light it from the sides. Then, with the suggestions for resting spots, the betta and the plants are ok with the deep tank.

My bettas have been most active in either a 5 gallon or a 10 that is very very densely decorated. Not being crammed in a quart sized cube is awesome, but I think some dislike open spaces. A simply planted 10 ... All it did was hide.

Some Otos plus shrimp might be good companions after it's set up awhile. Good clean up crew. Otos are delicate. They need a mature tank, and I always ask the store if they've been there awhile. Then I drip acclimate.

The pet stores might recommend a mystery snail but I've found they clean little, poop lots, and tend to get bitten by the betta.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom