Starting a 14g Reef Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alaher2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know it has been a while since I've been here, since after I moved I had to give my tank and all my fishes to my cousin who has the room to take care of them. Luckily all the fishes are doing great, and he is taking care of them real well. Due to my lack of space and the realization that I can't keep myself away from saltwater aquariums, I recently purchased the 14 gallon Bio Cube (with intentions of starting a Nano Reef tank). I currently have 20lbs of LR in there already (from the previous tank) and LR rubble in replace of the bio-balls. However, I do have a few questions...

1. My LFS owner advised me that due to the size of the tank you do not need to have a heater, that the pump/motor will generate enough heat. Is that true, or do you recommend having small heater to stabilize the temp such as this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+12087&pcatid=12087 ?

2. The lighting is 48W (24W Actinic & 24W Flourescent), would that be enough to sustain mushrooms and polyps? Also, what other corals would you suggest to with respect to lighting, current desired corals, and size?

3. With focus on the reef tank, what kind of fish would you recommend to help benefit this tank and increase the appeal of the tank?

4. What type of inverts and how many would you recommend to keep the tank clean?

I will be posting pics of the process and thank you in advance for all the help.

Ok, I have never had a nano reef but here are my thoughts.

1. Definately temperature stabilty is a must with a reef aquarium drastic changes could cause disaterous situations. Try one of these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ubref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0018712000000

2. That gives you 3.2 Watts Per gallon. I would suggest getting more towards 5-6 watts per gallon that way you dont have to worry so much about the type of coral

3.Regarding fish there is not too many saltwater fish that thrive in a 14 gallon that I know of. Probably just 1-2 small fish with some invertabrates (someone with Nano experience will have to chime in)

4. Start off with just a few snails and work your way up to about 15 over time depending on the type. And like 4 hermit crabs IMO

Hope I helped

1- Yes you will want a heater . Stability is key so yes a heater is a must :)
As to the heater you linked NO they have no controller and I have heard that they stick on to easy ... there is also no way to control what you want the temp at http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/index.php?cPath=42&osCsid=81c27b3ab020d4ca5438f93f96c94c73
they have titanium for a fair cost that will work well for your tank :)
2- yes that should be fine for zoas and shrooms and some LPS such as candy cane , and frogspawn IME .
3 1 or 2 fish such as a occ clown , or fire fish , in ours we have a pair of clowns and a purple pseudochromis , this give it color and they are easy to care for :)
4 6-10 nas snails . 1-2 turbo snails and 3-6 hermits besure to give them extra shells for homes . And perhaps a cleaner shrimp ...

Thanks guys for the advice and input, it is greatly appreciated. Heater-wise I saw the new Renu Heater, that if anyone else is interested might be a good fit for a nano cube w/ limited space. To avoid having the heater in the main display of the tank, I plan on trimming the bottom of the intake of the heater to fit in compartment 1. I will let everyone know how this "nano" modification works out.

Link to Renu Heater:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+18444&pcatid=18444

any other advice or input is still greatly appreciated, don't want to rush and make any stupid errors due to lack of info.

The heater I linked to is only 6 inches long the 100 watt heater is about 7 inches long short enough to fit with out mods , I have mine housed in the filter . The heater that I have in my frag tank is just in the tank since I am running a smaller filter ... Any mods will compramise your warranty so take heed :)

Thanks for the advice Sadie. I tried the Renu heater w/o any modifying and it fit perfectly (warranty is still in tact), and the dial is still accessible so I will continue to use the Renu heater. Anyone looking for a heater to place in the 1st compartment of the Biocube 14, the Renu heater will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom