Starting a cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aintnopuffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone no any decent YouTube/web address links for the best way of setting a cichlid tank up? And also befor I get the actual tank I'm going to need a cabinet, what tank sizes I'm I looking at for say a 10 cichlid community? That Q was so I can start looking for tha right size cabinet :)

Start with a 75 if you only have room/$$ for a 4' tank. Check your local craiglist, you may find a good deal on a whole setup.

HUKIT- Thank's for those link's!! Hope they help Aintnopuffer
Answered a lotta ?'s i had (y)

HUKIT said:
Aquarium Setup

Aquarium Quick Reference Resources - Cichlid Keeping

Cichlids is a very broad spectrum can you be more specific? Like South/Central Americans or Africans. Tank size is dependant on why fish your considering.

Thanx for that mate it's helped alot and I was thinking Africans. How would they do with a 30 gallon tank? And if so how many would be ideal to a 30 gallon? Please excuse my lack of knowledge I'm new to this. Highly willing to learn mooooreee though loving this site, u learn something new every day on here lool :)

A 55g would the minimum for the majority of africans, a 75g would be better since it's the same footprint as the 55g. These are aggressive fish that require individual territory and swimming room. Better to plan ahead than fail early with the wrong set up.

HUKIT said:
A 55g would the minimum for the majority of africans, a 75g would be better since it's the same footprint as the 55g. These are aggressive fish that require individual territory and swimming room. Better to plan ahead than fail early with the wrong set up.

Yhh I'm doing my research now so that Dnt mess up when I get them eventually lol I'm gunna go and look at some tanks today you say 55g minimum then Yh. Iv been on YouTube aswel and some ppl obvo Dnt care or don't no what size tank to have because there's ppl with 20g tanks holding Africans.

Yhh I'm doing my research now so that Dnt mess up when I get them eventually lol I'm gunna go and look at some tanks today you say 55g minimum then Yh. Iv been on YouTube aswel and some ppl obvo Dnt care or don't no what size tank to have because there's ppl with 20g tanks holding Africans.

I can't see adult Africans living very long in a 20g. They'd kill each other just to find a place to sleep at night.
I have a 55g with African Mbunas and it took a lot of retuning fish until I got a group that would get along with each other, even in the 55g. A few babies in a 20g but beyond that, they'll destroy each other.
I'm cruising CL for a 75g myself, just to make a better home for my Cichlids.
If I had known before I got my 55g, I would have just started out with a 75g. You know hindsight :facepalm: and all.
The 75g is the same length as a 55g, it's just 5" wider. That makes for more area to make up their territories. Without taking up a lot more space in your room.
Good luck with your Cichlids, we spend many hours enjoying ours :popcorn:. They have a ton of personality :brows: and are incredibly beautiful. My grandson and I take care of the tanks together. It's a great family hobby and a great way to spend quality time away from TV and video games :banghead:.

Yup thats the problem alot, you have that beat puffer. You are checking into things prior to getting started. I did some research prior but wish I would have done even more prior to adding fish.
Most do not, they get a tank, ask a few questions at the LFS and bam thier fish die thier tanks get sold or worse they buy fish every few months when the Ammonia burns thier gills completely and they die.

Yup thats the problem alot, you have that beat puffer. You are checking into things prior to getting started. I did some research prior but wish I would have done even more prior to adding fish.
Most do not, they get a tank, ask a few questions at the LFS and bam thier fish die thier tanks get sold or worse they buy fish every few months when the Ammonia burns thier gills completely and they die.

I was lucky, even though I knew nothing, our fish lasted 6 years without any problem. Then I added a school of Neon Tetras and in one day all my fish died from ick.
The only reason my fish lived so long is that I did 50-75% PWC every other day. I am a bit OCD about cleaning my tanks, which saved the fish. I never tested or knew about QT, nothing.

Now my tanks are cycled and I don't have anywhere near as much work to do. It was so much easier I ended up with 2 55g & 2 10g tanks and it's still less work than the bucket brigade for a 75% WC every other day.

AA has been a blessing for both me and my fish. My African Cichlids are having Babies and my Angels are growing really well. All are healthy, happy and thriving, thanks to AA. It's funny though, that doing it all the right way is easier and saves time.

Back
Top Bottom