Starting a n ew 120 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLoViper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O im getting a new tank pretty soon and i really want to make it semi aggressive.
I was thinking if i can put plecos in that tank, and i would really like to have some cichlids and if possible a discuss.
What sharks can i out in that tank.

Discus don't do well mixed with other fish because they like certain setups.

Most other cichlids are very aggressive, and again need specific setups, with other cichlids of that region or "lake." the semi-aggressive still get territorial.

Most sharks are aggressive. Balas need a few, and 3 is about all you can have in a 120, as far as I'm told.

Apollo sharks can be kept 3-5 in a 120, but you can't have any other mid or top swimmer at all.

You could have a redtail shark, but make sure it's tank mates are tough because it gets pretty aggressive, too.

It'd probably be better to chose one type of fish as the main type you like, and choose other fish from there that would get along. I know some nice tropical fish, but know nothing about cichlids other than the complexities of keeping them.

One common pleco can be housed in a 120, but I HIGHLY suggest not, as it limits your bottom swimming capacity. I'd suggest another large, but not 18", pleco. Maybe a Royal Pleco?

Thanks for the quick reply,
what would you suggest for tropical fish?

SLoViper said:
Thanks for the quick reply,
what would you suggest for tropical fish?

If discus were on you mind consider a highly planted discus tank ( about 10 discus) and some designer plecos like a couple gold nuggets and clowns

Just remember discus are almost in the SW realm of water quality so keep that in mind if you do decide that route which its well worth it imo since they are the most beautiful FW fish avaialable :)

Chiroptera said:
Discus don't do well mixed with other fish because they like certain setups.

Most other cichlids are very aggressive, and again need specific setups, with other cichlids of that region or "lake." the semi-aggressive still get territorial.

Most sharks are aggressive. Balas need a few, and 3 is about all you can have in a 120, as far as I'm told.

Apollo sharks can be kept 3-5 in a 120, but you can't have any other mid or top swimmer at all.

You could have a redtail shark, but make sure it's tank mates are tough because it gets pretty aggressive, too.

It'd probably be better to chose one type of fish as the main type you like, and choose other fish from there that would get along. I know some nice tropical fish, but know nothing about cichlids other than the complexities of keeping them.

One common pleco can be housed in a 120, but I HIGHLY suggest not, as it limits your bottom swimming capacity. I'd suggest another large, but not 18", pleco. Maybe a Royal Pleco?

A redtail needs 500+ gals IMO
Edit- didn't read I thought it said redtail cat

Facepalm
Sorry

I think you should do a variety of malawi cichlids and maybe 4 bristle nose plecos. From there you could possibly add a Rainbow, the only issue I see is the cichlids ganging up on the shark but they tend to keep their aggressiveness among themselves. The cichlids should be tough enough to handle if a shark gets aggressive though. make lots of caves and rock work for the less tough fish to hide in and I think you will be fine and 4 or 5 plecos of that breed should keep you clean.

Hm.. looking at your list, you could probably do an awesome shiny silver tank, with just a couple of Bala sharks and maybe a couple of Redtail Tinfoil barbs.
x3 Bala Shark
x3 Tinfoil Barb?
x3 4-lined Pimelodus Catfish, or 6x Pictus Catfish
The tinfoil barb gets about the same size as the bala sharks, but looking at similar tank stock suggestions I believe this would be fine. You could not add anything else, this is probably stock limit.

And then, pleco-wise, here's Starlight Plecos:
WhiteSeamPleco2.JPG

You could have two of them with the rest of the fish I suggested, probably.

Redtail tinfoil:
tinfoil_barb%20_101122a3_w0480.jpg

Bala Shark:
bala_sharks.jpg

Four-Lined Catfish: (Pictus look similar)
img_2042198_3_13b9d75229ba798f18fe0e3b92ae40f3.jpg

If you want something more colorful, you could do a Lake Malawi Cichlid setup. Just make sure you know what they need, and how to set up your tank.

Thank you guys for all the replies, im not sure if ill be going with cichlids, apparently there is a lot of work with them and i am still a beginner and i would like my fish to survive, so ill be most likely going with tropical fish.
If you have any other suggestions about the tank please let me know

another thing, what substrate should i go with sand or gravel. Ive been using gravel so far so i really dont know anything about sand, but imo it looks nicer than gravel.

I like how sand looks too. Just make sure to clean it well or it really clouds up the tank:eek:

If you're looking for a semi-aggressive tank with tropical fish you could do some amazing things with tiger barbs. IMO you could have
12-13 Regular Tiger barbs
12-13 Albino Tiger barbs
12-13 Green Tiger barbs
5 Pictus Catfish

SLoViper said:
What kind of sand do you guys recommend?

The less expensive options would be.... Play sand, which is found at wal mart and about $4.00 for a 50 pound bag. Pool filter sand, don't know how much it would be exactly but I think you get it from a pool supply company... Or sand blasting sand, which is my favorite because it is black and about $7.99 for a 50 pound bag. After doing some research I will never buy sand from a LFS again

what brand of sandblasting sand would you recommend, and how long do i have to keep it in the water before putting it into the aquarium?

If you have a lowes or home depot kinda store nearby, just ask them. All of it is the same, really. It also depend on the shade. Play sand will be whiter, construction more gold, etc. if you want black sand, pool filter sand has a black kind.

Pool Filter sand is usually in line with the price of sand blasting last time I got a 50 lb bag it was 6.99 and I have seen it other places for 9.99

Back
Top Bottom