starting a new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnimalXXman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everyone,
i have a 5 gal hex tank with the bio wheel filtration system.
i am wanting to do a freshwater planted tank with shrimp, but i have no clue what supplies, or what to even do. i have never done a planted or shrimp tank. any advice would be gratefully helpful.

AXXM

get java moss...any low light floating plants...or so i have been told
sponge or a fine cloth to cover your filter intake so the shrimps dont get sucked in...i have been told

what kind of shrimps did you have in mind?

RueXX88

With the light that is stock in those hex tanks you can grow only very low light plants anubia, mosses and ferns are probably your best choices.

well i was planning on replacing the light to something a little stronger and clearer that what the stock has.

Well if you upgrade your lighting you can grow more plants usually just one of those spiral fluorescent bulbs will work. I have 5.5 regular tanks and that is what I have over them and can grow up to medium light plants without a problem. If you get your plants from a store make sure they are aquatic don't take their word for it go home and look it up. I find better deals on the forums than at most stores on plants better quality and more variety.

Make a list of known aquatic plants before you leave for the store. sometimes they lie.

As soon as you put water and some kind of substrate down, You will want to cycle this tank while you search for a new light. you dont need light for the nitrogen cycle. Buy a master test kit for freshwater. Either use a raw shrimp or pure ammonia. make sure its only ammonia and nothing else.

thanks everyone... im going to get my substrate this weekend. what do you suggest i get, or does it depend on the plants i choose? i will also start posting pics soon i hope.

I like fluorite. Lately I have been putting down 1/4 to 1/2 potting soil then grating up cuttle bone then topping it with fluorite. Not everyone has good luck with it but I haven't had a problem yet. I used it in a shrimp tank so I know if I was going to have problems with a massive die off it would be in that tank. I know if I would have problems all I would have to do is a deep vacuuming and it would pull out most of the potting soil.

The main draw back with fluorite is the red cloud that sometimes takes a long time to disappear.

Back
Top Bottom