Starting a new tank...need the best advice for cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WizardHowl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,
I'm starting a new tank, and I have the money to get pretty good equipment. Since I'm relatively new to tanks, I'm thinking 75-90 gallons. I basically want to make a community tank with a variety of fish, and also in the future be able to support cichlids, especially discus'. What can I do from the beginning to get it right so that I will be able to eventually support discus' once I have the perfect water condition. Since I read that they sometimes like plants to swim around, would I need a decent light fixture to support some nice green plants, or will the fluorescents be sufficient?

discus can live happily in a non-planted tank too.
as to perfect water conditions, as long as they are stable and the NH3/NO2 are absent, the PH doesn't matter that much (though you'd want more opinions on that).
so all you need right now are good filters - a combo of a canister and a HOB or two canisters would be fine. also i'd go for a good oversized heater, as discus tanks are maintained at higher temps.
HTH
I'd rater not talk about planted tanks as i'm a complete failure in that field ;)

You don't just "get" perfect water conditions...unless you mean after the tank is cycled. I would do a fishless cycle to begin with though. Read about it HERE.

You'll need to do some reading about Discus to see what tankmates go well with them. I wouldn't put any extremely active or nippy fish in with them, as Discus are rather passive. Also, they like higher temperatures, and not all fish do.

I'd go to the LFS and pick up a few books on Discus, before you get them.

I'd definitely get a cannister filter for a Discus tank to keep the water as clean as possible. I have a Rena XP3 on my 55g and it does a great job. Its also not that expensive.

go to discusforum.com and read up I was going to keep discus at one point but they need to be in schools of atleast 6 and my apt manager wouldnt let me keep a tank that big. They need higher temps of around 86-89 and that means its hard to find plants to keep in warm water. If you get juvi's grow them out in a barebottem tank as they need to eat around 6 times a day and can make quite a mess. Daily vacs will be needed to get out the poo on the bottem (which is why bare bottem is important) once they become adults (or if you buy adults) they can be put in a planted tank as they dont eat and poo as much. Dont buy ugly discus as they will only grow up and make more ugly discus. Watch the discus for a week minimum before you buy them to make sure they eat, swim and breathe reg. And be prepared to have some of the best fish ever, I love discus and want a tank sometime in the future, but i also want a shark tank, a piranha tank too so we will see which I get

Back
Top Bottom