Starting a new tank with fiddler crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwhaerter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I am thinking about starting a 10 gal tank with a few fiddler crabs in it. I know i have to have an area on land for the crabs. I was wondering what filter would be good with sand? Also do i need lighting, what should i use. And about how much salt is needed? Thanks![/b]

I have no idea about salt or land for crabs. As for as filtes go, any filter will work with a sand tank, just put a piece of sponge over the intake as a prefilter to keep the sand out of the impeller area.
Just for my peace of mind, will this tank be fishless?

The type of filter you should get depends on your tank setup. You're probably best off filling the tank about 1/2 full, and using a small sponge filter. To use a hang-on power filter (which would probably be overkill), you'd have to raise the water level to at least withing 2-3" of the top of the tank, and even then it would probably be loud from having to pull the water up that high.

As far as salt goes, I've kept fiddlers with no salt at all, but my water is pretty hard out of the tap. I have heard ranges from 1 Tbsp/ 5 gal, to 1 Tsp/ gal.

Unless you're keeping some kind of live plants, you don't need any lighting at all.

Good luck!

i have a fiddler in my 6 gallon tank to eat all the fish poo. hes fine, and doesn't need anything special that a normal freshwater fish tank doesn't

Back
Top Bottom