Starting a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dumbo the Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys! I’m completely new to planted tanks. I’ve been wanting to start one for a while and I might end up going to a new PetSmart near me. It’s amazing to its fish! (Except for the bettas of course but their water is actually clean) I was wondering if you guys would recommend some low light, low maintenance plants that will be fine with gravel. I think Java moss would be good for me. I’ll definitely pick some up from PetSmart if it’s in stock. What should I look for in plants? Thanks!

Most plants from petsmart are fairly non-demanding.

Anubias
Java fern
Java moss
Cryptocoryne
Swords
Wisteria
Money wort
Rotala
Ludwigia
Dwarf red tiger lotus

That should give you a start.

Thank you! Would they need supplements or stuff like that? I’m brand new lol. Also can they thrive in gravel?

Below is a pic of one of my tanks in plain gravel running most of the plants I had mentioned. Note that java fern, java moss and anubais are not to be planted into the gravel. Rather, wedge them into rocks / wood or super glue / tie them to rocks / wood.

This tank uses a small daily dose of:

KNO3
KH2PO4
CSM+B
MgSO4
Metricide 14

DIY root tabs places every few months.

Qd1E4SQ.jpg

DTZoYbA.jpg

Would the plants that I’m getting for about a 5 gallon or 2.5 gallon need the supplements daily? I’ll be on vacation for a bit soon. What do you mean by DIY root tabs? Sorry for all the stupid questions

Would the plants that I’m getting for about a 5 gallon or 2.5 gallon need the supplements daily? I’ll be on vacation for a bit soon. What do you mean by DIY root tabs? Sorry for all the stupid questions

3 x weekly works too.

For a 5.5 gallons I would recommend:

Crypt parva
Crpyt lutue
Bacopa spp. 'compact'
Jave fern
Christmas moss
Dwarf chain sword
Helanthium
Helanthium tenellum 'Green'
Blyxa japonica
AR 'mini'
Pogostemon helferi
Monte carlo
Star. repens
Ludwigia 'super red mini'

3 x weekly doses of:
KNO3
KH2PO4
CSM+B (depending on the pH of the tank, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive might be a better option)
Plus a root tab underneath the sword / crypt plant once every 2-3 months.

1 x weekly 50% water change.

DIY (Do it yourself) Root tabs involve taking granule fertilizer and placing it in gel pill capsules, then insert them under the substrate.

Osmocote + is a good option, I work for a farm supply company so I have access to loads of fertilizer types, so I make my own.

Ok. Thank you! Will it matter if I forget root tabs for a bit? While I’m on vacation I can’t get anybody to fish sit.

Ok. Thank you! Will it matter if I forget root tabs for a bit? While I’m on vacation I can’t get anybody to fish sit.

They will be fine, tabs are not really needed anyway, but they do offer some consistency in terms of always having nutrients for the plants. As to how much of each nutrient there is? well tabs are not consistent for that... but they are good at making sure there is always some there.

How long are you going on vacation for? Do you have a timer for the lights?

About a week and a half. Haven’t set a timer so that’s why I was looking for low light

Ok. I don’t exactly know yet. It really depends on what I purchase. I may or may not get a new tank but if I do i think I’ll just get “regular” lighting. Any restrictions or guidelines?

Ok. I don’t exactly know yet. It really depends on what I purchase. I may or may not get a new tank but if I do i think I’ll just get “regular” lighting. Any restrictions or guidelines?

Again... For low tech setups there are hundreds of options / combinations.

Tank size

LED (DIY, strips, fixtures, flood lights, screw socket style etc etc) vs T5 vs T8 vs Compact Florescent.

Color spectrum.

Some good names:

Beamswork DA-FSPEC (non-dimmable)
Fluval planted3.0
Current satellite
Finnex 24/7
Nicrew

13 or 23 watt 'cool white' spiral compact fluorescent

10 or 15 or 30 watt LED flood light

Will ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp with a betta be fine with plants? I’m fine if the snails and shrimp and even betta nibble on the plants so long as they aren’t decimated

Will ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp with a betta be fine with plants? I’m fine if the snails and shrimp and even betta nibble on the plants so long as they aren’t decimated

Plant the tank from day 1.

Get the plants growing well, the time this takes + the plant mass will "silent" cycle the tank.

Grow some algae / biofilm (this will happen naturally) and add the sherry shrimp and ghost shrimp.

Let them start to breed and then add the betta.

I doubt a betta will eat fully grow shrimp, but he will each babies. A bunch of plants will help hide them until the grow large enough to not be eaten.

Ok. I’m actually fine with the betta eating a few shrimp. They’ll help keep the water clean and provide a live food source which I’m sure he’ll love. Another idiotic question: What do u mean by silent cycle? Does that mean the tank is already kind of cycled? And would it be ok to add B.B. in a bottle? If so, what brand

Ok. I’m actually fine with the betta eating a few shrimp. They’ll help keep the water clean and provide a live food source which I’m sure he’ll love. Another idiotic question: What do u mean by silent cycle? Does that mean the tank is already kind of cycled? And would it be ok to add B.B. in a bottle? If so, what brand

Yes BB in a bottle should help.

Silent cycle is exactly how it sounds, plant from day 1, decaying plant materiel will produce ammonia which will start the cycle of the tank. By the time you get the plants growing well, the bacteria population should be big enough for a couple small fish (or shrimp, or a betta).

I'm not sure on the "best" brand of BB in a bottle.

The betta will eat ALL of the little shrimp in a day if given the chance ;) you'll need a very big and thriving population if you want to keep up. I speak from experience with a 5.5 gal betta / shrimp tank.

Back
Top Bottom