Starting a pond...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UV can do some damage. It's recommend to covered the exposed surfaces with stone, wood, or other material if possible.
I've heard of rubber repair kits. It has patches and a bonding material. No experience with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the information. I'll look for the repair kit.

Sorry to hear that. If it's not too personal, what's the main obstacle to your pond? Cost? Digging up the yard? Canadian winter?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry it's been a while!

But yeah I'm sad we will have to find new homes for the koi, I grew up with them so it's harder than expected. There is an issue with the regulations for the area our new house is, and unfortunately they prevent us from doing any major alterations to the land (like a sizable pond). It's really dumb, considering how expensive the place was I expect to do what I want with what I own.

One day I hope to have koi again, but for now my tanks will suffice!

I have seen in a garden market hard shell ponds, assembled from 5 segments (for transport). Content about 4 cbm. It would go for Koi.

If I convince my wife to let me build an additional above ground pond I'll post it on this board. I really like my idea and want to try it out.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi! Sorry I meant to reply to this once I get more insight and news on what my family wants once things settle. We have found a keeper for our koi so they have been rehomed.

Right now we have plans to do a half in-ground pond. What is supposed to be a simple project now seems somewhat of a giant...

I have some concerns, maybe someone can give me some insight:

1) This is mostly going to be a water garden with maybe some comets. I'm thinking around 3-4 ft deep at most with at least 1ft in ground. Will this be ok with the goldfish as long as I don't let it freeze over during the winter?

2) There is a large tree that is smack tab in the middle of where my dad would like the pond. He wants to just wrap the pond around the tree. With the pond being only 1ft deep into the ground, I was thinking of 'walling' the tree in with stone walls as deep as the pond goes. Is this a bad idea?

3) The way my dad wants the pond is kind of like a donut around said tree. This may mean the pieces of liner we already have may not be big enough. To save money, I want to connect two pieces together but I have also heard horror stories of seams leaking. There must be some people who do this though? Is there a proper way to do it or am I just safer to buy a custom cut that will fit?

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom