Starting an axlotl tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_the_shark

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am gonna raise an axlotl, and advice? Is there a sticky around that I may read? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Im sure someone keeps some here. I dont recall seeing a thread on them though.

Try search button

Last edited by a moderator:
Those little guys are so cute! My advice is no smaller than a 20 gallon tank and make sure to have a lid on because they love to jump

Use the Search feature; you will find threads on the subject.
On a high level, you need to maintain good water conditions, don't use gravel, and keep temps below 75 F.

Use the Search feature; you will find threads on the subject.
On a high level, you need to maintain good water conditions, don't use gravel, and keep temps below 75 F.
Oh okay good to know about the gravel. Would sand be alright?

I believe that's fine. Bare bottom may be preferred.
What did your research tell you skimmed through the relevant threads?
Well I googled them and it says their name stands for water dog or something. They were almost extinct at a point. The mexican people used to eat them and the japanese people still do (fried). Those things on the side of their face are their gills. Typcial full growth size is about 10 inches. Sometimes they can go through metamorphasis and change into a tiger salamander. Also, they are cute.

I've had mine for about a year now and all 4 are still healthy and happy! Feel free to ask any questions. I'd say 20gal is good, you can keep them in groups, they do like water in the cool side so no warmer then ~75 I'd say 68 is ideal but a chiller is way to expensive in my eyes.

Well I googled them and it says their name stands for water dog or something. They were almost extinct at a point. The mexican people used to eat them and the japanese people still do (fried). Those things on the side of their face are their gills. Typcial full growth size is about 10 inches. Sometimes they can go through metamorphasis and change into a tiger salamander. Also, they are cute.

Typical misinformation from google. Axoloti are a separate species and do not metamorphosis into Tiger salamanders. The larval stage of the Tiger salamander is gilled similar to an Axoloti, and that larva stage metamorphosis into adult Tiger salamanders. Unethical people may sell the gilled stage of the Tigers as an Axoloti, but they are not. A true Axoloti doesn't undergo metamorphosis and remains in the gilled condition.

Last edited:
Typical misinformation from google. Axoloti are a separate species and do not metamorphosis into Tiger salamanders. The larval stage of the Tiger salamander is gilled similar to an Axoloti, and that larva stage metamorphosis into adult Tiger salamanders. Unethical people may sell the gilled stage of the Tigers as an Axoloti, but they are not. A true Axoloti doesn't undergo metamorphosis and remains in the gilled condition.
Ah I understand the difference now. I've seen some salamanders before. They are both cool!

Wy - Here’s an interesting article about an established human induced neotenic amphibian: Badger Salamander
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-salamanders-that-refuse-to-grow-up-64827289/

Thanks Fresh, that was an pretty interesting read. Since it was from 2011, it would be interesting to learn what happened with this particular group of unique Tiger salamanders. I found a couple articles that indicated they were still there as of 2013, but seem to be suffering from infection by a virus of some sort, but nothing further.

Thanks Fresh, that was an pretty interesting read. Since it was from 2011, it would be interesting to learn what happened with this particular group of unique Tiger salamanders. I found a couple articles that indicated they were still there as of 2013, but seem to be suffering from infection by a virus of some sort, but nothing further.

I’ll see if I can find a follow up to this.
Interesting laws related to owning and importing axolotls. Most likely to prevent the spread of diseases to local fauna:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...neral-discussion/108593-usa-axolotl-laws.html

Back
Top Bottom