Starting FW Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would I do that?
I like this thing, compact, and good looking enough for me not to care about it hanging on the side (Unlike a bottle)

Also, what spectrum of lighting is needed for FW?
On the SW setup I have a 10,000K and an Actinic.
Isnt FW something like 6,000K?

Anytipe of kelvin will work its the watts that matter the most. I think freshwater plants and fish look better in the 5000-6500 range. JMO.

Since I already know FW is cheap compared to SW...... What is better? 6500?

And where is a good place to buy bulbs? lol. Cannot find the place where I got my light at now....

the 6500 seems to work best, it helps show the fishes colors and helps with the plant growth pretty well(of course with the CO2 and ferts help also)

like rich said about bigalsonline, thats the best online store which has basically all the needs for aquariums

they are great :D

You will also need to invest in some sort of hood for the tank. An active community tank of FW fish will scurry alot around the top of the tank. If you have something like my SW tank, the light is on legs with an open top. Glass tops are available all over the place. Something to think about. You will also need different test kit for the FW, different foods, etc. Little costs like that.

I already have a nice canopy, with 2 fans in it. Pretty darn nice setup I have. Exeeds FW standards.

I can pretty much have any jumping fish I want, and that was the goal of this canopy.

I actually already have food for FW. Its SW AND FW food, veggie flakes. If I convert (Seriously thinking on it now) to FW, I would need to sell my CF Bulbs, food, test kit (One is pretty used, prolly just trash, but the other is very lightly used I could sell), chemicals, stuff like that (And salt).

Ill make a new thread about what I need to get, please reply!

Oh yea... At the LFS I saw an eel type thing. It just stays in the back of the tank , super ugly thing, but I was just wondering what it was. It was grey, looked like an eel of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom