Starting My 45G Fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robfowlr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am pretty new to the hobby and just looking for some advice/best practice.

I have a 45G tank with:
80lbs of live sand
10lbs base rock
40lbs good cured live rock
Aquaclear 70 Powerfilter W/2 sponges and 1 carbon pack in the basket
Fluval 200w Heater
(2) maxijet 600's (circulator config)
Full top with 24" 50/50 lighting

My tank Cycled very quickly I had the Rock and sand in for about 3 days then added 2 clownfish. The Ammo and Nitite levels were at zero after the first 8 days. The nitrate level have fluxuated between 5ppm and 15ppm.

I had my LFS test my water and they said that it looked good. I was worried because most of what I have read said that the cycle would take 6-8 weeks. I have received mixed advice about buying a skimmer some say its not needed with my size tank,but would be useful, others say its a waste. I am going to wait a few weeks and if my levels are stable go with out if they move ill get either a bak pak or an Aqua C ramora.

I waited 2 weeks with the clowns in the tank with 5 blue leg hermits 4 white snails and 4 turbos and the levels were good. I added a 2" blue tang and a 3 1/2" pink spotted goby/with pistol shrimp buddy. All levels are good I have done 2 10g water changes and have gone easy on the food. I am using mysis shrimp, pellets, and seaweed strips all soaked in garlic solution. Everyone is eating well and not leaving to much mess.

Compared to what I have read about starting a FOWLR this seems very rushed I know but I havnt had any harsh spikes in levels, aggression, or much negative progress so far. My next move is to wait 2 more weeks and add a flame angel. I am thinking that may be all the fish I will add to the tank just to keep the bioload reasonable and everyone happy. Mayabe a cleaner shrimp too!

Any advice or comments you have would be appreciated as I am getting most of my info from reading and my LFS. I will post some pics of the aquascaping and the tank residents soon!

Rob

Test yur own water its very easy most lfs always say yep good to go want a fish lol so don't trust them yea seems kinda quick for a cycle but not in herd of I'd just test am and nit daily for a week or so if it fluctuates the cycle is not completely done ...

The huge problem I see is your blue tang. They get 1'+ and grow quickly. MINIMUM 6' tank for them. I would trade him in for what you want.

Follow up

Thanks for the advice! I am testing the levels daily myself and they are all holding well. I read and I see the blue tang will get really big and will outgrow my little tank pretty quick. I will hang on to him for id say 6 months and then back to the LFS he goes, ill be sad to see him go. I did add a flame angel and everyone seems to be getting along well. I also bought a new light fixture I got an Omni T5 4 bulb. It puts out 156W and has built in timers I have 2 blue bulbs and 2 reg 10k bulbs and some LEDS for moonlight.

I bought a small frag of Metallic green star polyp just to see if it will work and if my fish will nip at it. I wasnt planning on going with any coral but the rocks look empty with out some thing! Tank os looking good I am keeping on a 15% weekly water change schedule and hope that everything progresses well!

Rob

Nice! And thank you for not arguing that the tang will be fine..... I hate that haha. Hell be fine for 6 months and you'll get the enjoyment! After that hell be in a better home! Where are you located? I would take him if you wanted me to, 150 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom