Starting new 55G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluejam

Aquarium Advice Regular
Let me start by saying that so far I find these forums the most informative I have found so far.
This is my first post so please bear with me.

I just picked up a nice 55G w/ oak stand to start a salt FOWLR system. It came with two heaters(don't know the wattage), a Magnum330 filter w/two motors and lots of crushed coral w/rather large coral pieces mixed(lots of it).
I have a brand new Millenium3000 that I was to use on a 29G but sold that tank in favor of the 55. I plan on purchasing the AquaC Remora skimmer and about 40 lb live rock to start. I will also add two Maxi-jet1200 PH in the corners.
My stock plan is a couple clowns, a yellow and blue tang, couple damsels, couple shrimps and the usual cleaner crews. Of coarse I am flexible as I learn more.
I have read New Marine Aquarium and lots of these forums.
How am I doing so far? All comments appreciated.
My concern right now are the two filters. Should I go with the Magnum330(I don't know how to set it up yet-need a manual) or go with my Millenium3000 or both?
Also I already purchased a 25lb bag of coral sand(aragonite?)Should I mix it with the grainier crushed coral?
One more thing. It also came with two 48" bulbs. One is blue actinic. Any particular fixture to get? Money is getting a little tight.

Thanks so much everyone. You help take the fear factor out of this endeavor.

Jody

Toss all the CC, IMO nothing but a nitrate producer over time and if mixed with sand you will not be able to vacuum the CC to remove the waste.
48" 2 bulbs light is this a PC light or Reg florescent.
In a 55 a blue tang is out of the question, some will say even a yellow is out.
Some damsels are nasty fish and can kill other fish, so be careful when getting these guys.

I had a bad feeling about the CC. The bulbs have two prongs like a regular flourescent so they probably are. Would they get me by for awhile? If so, is there a certain fixture to get? BTW, the bulbs are 40W.
I hope I don't regret not holding out for a 75. I sure like those tangs. Oh well. I'll have more time to research that part of it in the coming month while it cycles.
Comments on the filters anyone?

well lets see. I like the Magnum canister filter myself. thats pretty good.

Get rid of the CC and add about 75 lbs of Argonite sand instead.

Your lighting is perfectly fine for a FOWLR. I would get a fixture that allowed you to use both your standard and your blue actnic bulb.

as far as fish go, Many will say that a 55 is to small for a yellow tang, and a 55 is DEFINATLY to small for a Blue Regal tang. Damsels are not necissarily a bad Idea, but they can get mean quick, and your clowns will be helpless against their onslaught. Keep your clowns in pairs, they will do much better that way. Look into small angels like Flame angels and Coral Beauty angels. they would be perfect for a 55 gallon system.

Welcome to AA! :D

Your current lighting will be fine for now. Coraline algae growth will be slow on the rock, but it's something you can always upgrade later. The first purchase you should consider is a good protien skimmer.

The Powerheads are a great idea. I would even consider skipping the additional HOB filter and spending that money on the skimmer. The Remora is an excellent choice. If money is tight check out the CPR Bak Pak.

Take the advice about about the blue tang, a 55 is just to small. You might be able to keep a yellow tang (some will say no way).

As for your LR... depends on how much you want to spend here. Many ways to go. Add 20-40 # of base and 20-40# of live. It will all become live rock over time. If you want to go for the gold right off the line, get it all live.

One final note... when you replace the CC with sand... swing by your LFS and see if they will give or sell you a couple cups of there live sand. This will seed your sand bed and put you well on the way to having an entire LS bed.

Thanks so much for the good advice.
OK, a Blue Tang is out but I like the Butterfly and Angel suggestions, particularly the Flame Angel. I hope to have fish with personality. I also must have a couple shrimp that won't end up as bait. Any more stock suggestions are appreciated. I know books discuss this topic but it's great to hear suggestions and comments from aquarist's experiences.
About the lighting. Should I just go to Home Depot and get a fixture for my bulbs? I have a canopy so the light doesn't have to be pretty.
I don't seem to have all the parts for the Magnum330. Should I still go with my Millenium3000 HOB and skimmer or just can it altogether and just use the Remora skimmer. I can get a refund for the 3000 so no $$ loss.
I'll go with 25lb base and 25lb live and I like the 2 cups LS idea.
What is this "Moon Sand"? It sounds exotic.

Thanks!
Jody

Should I still go with my Millenium3000 HOB and skimmer or just can it altogether and just use the Remora skimmer.
I'd go with just the Remora and LR. No need for a HOB filter really. The only reason I could see using a HOB filter in your setup would be for a place to run carbon, but there are easier/cheaper ways to do this. I'd put the money you'd spend for the HOB towards the skimmer.

What is this "Moon Sand"? It sounds exotic.
It's just a bright white sand. I believe CaribSea changed the name Marine Sand now since they are producing a black sand called Tahitian Moon.

Nothing exotic... just very small grain, bright white sand. :D

I agree with everyone too. Recommend budgeting a sump and RO/DI water and take your time and let it cycle.

as long as you don't have any big predators, your shrimp will be fine. I have a CBS and its definatly very cool.

Can anybody answer my lighting question?

I have two 48" 40W bulbs. They are the T12 size. One is actinic I believe. It is white but blue when turned on. I need a fixture for them. The LFS had a dual 48" for $118. I think it is just a regular flourecent. Now why would I do that if I can get one at Home Depot for $23.95? Is there a difference? Also what is the difference between a regular flourecent and a PC?
I am still going FOWLR.
I would love to just go out and pick up a $200 PC but I am itching to get going and need the funds for LRand PS.

I have crushed coral in my tank and I have had no problems with it. It adds a nice white feture to ym tank as for vacumming no problems at all with it...But mine is finely ground no big chunks in it but if you want to go with play sand thats fine just my input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom