Starting new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grode15

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm going to get either a 90 gallon or 70 gallon fish tank soon and need advice on setting it up. I have a 30 gallon fish tank right now but I did a fish in cycle because I didn't know much about cycling when I first started. So what would I have to put in the tank to get it to cycle? What I plan on putting in the tank is my red tailed shark from my 30 gallon,a Oscar,and one more fish which will most likely be a featherfin catfish. Do you think that would be a good stock? My last question is what is the best canister filter for a Oscar and what media should I put in it since I know you can use whatever media you want with canister filters?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 75 gallon that used to have a single oscar In it and I use a SunSun canister filter with carbon (optional) Bio-max and Bio-balls. Works fine that along with 2 strong HOB's keeps the water and beneficial bacteria doing good. I would take out the red tail shark though. Other than that everything seems good! And did you want to do a fish in cycle? Or fishless cycle?

Fish less cycle

And with the red tail shark I was going to get a baby Oscar and let him grow up with the shark so he wouldent be aggressive towards it

Then you will need some source of ammonia, they should sell ammonia at your Lfs for cycling fish tanks.

Thanks and do you know if there is a good canister filter that I could run by itself because I don't want to have to take care of 3 filters?

If you just want one filter, id go with a Fluval fx6. Its amazing. And its huge. And it gets the job done.

Ok thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom