Starting softies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are some of your favorite beginner softies? My tank is 10 months old with t5 x 4 54 watt (3 whites 1 blue)

Currently I only have a clown and a rusty angel cleaner shrimp some Zoa polyps and a ricordea.

55 gallon w 80 # lr 1.5 " live sand bed

Thanks!

I love pulsing xenia but its one of those corals that you'll have to keep trimmed back and isolated or else it can become a nuisance. I also love zoas and palys :)

Oh yea I saw a Xenia at my lfs it was beautiful. Haven't seen a toadstool I'll have to check em out.

Any good filter feeders out there?

Keep em coming!

Thanks!

Filter feeders meaning what? Like nps? They're impossible to keep.... DNA even try. They die all the time except sun coral.

Actually that was a stupid question after doing a little research it seems any marine animal that derives nutrients from particles in the water is considered a filter feeder. So almost any coral I get is technically a "filter feeder" lol.

A good softie would be most type leather corals. Also in a set up like that you could have some LPS corals. Brain and bubble corals would do fine.

I think you would be fine with a lps torch or any other lps and softies. I was just stating one of my favorites that would work in your tank.

Just looked up the torch And I want one! Was thinking of starting w soft corals but maybe I'll grab a frag of LPS and see how it does. I do have 1800 gph of flow so I might as well give it a shot.

Thanks for the ideas!

Great choice. Torch is also one of my favs. Mine has grown 6 new heads since I've got it and one is splitting.

Attachments

• image-1768793444.jpg
    image-1768793444.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 79
And btw the better the lighting for them the better the color. As with most corals. Mine used to be tan now it's neon green.

I don't have personal experience but it's an lps also. It's not very hard. You will be able to keep one.

Yeah I have a three head neon one. Like crister said you should be fine. I spot feed mine like once every couple of weeks. You can see their feeders during feeding time and at night. They do capture some food.one single head also.

Attachments

• image-1399980181.jpg
    image-1399980181.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom